Friday, April 30, 2010

I Just Can't Hide It

I have to admit something...

I am a WEE bit excited about the series this weekend in Philly.

The last few seasons, there was always some kind of different feeling. Doesn't it always seem like the Mets are coming off a hot stretch, cool off on a day off, then come into Philly not looking like the team they were just two days prior? That was how I always looked at things in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

This year is different. The last circa two weeks see a different team operating. It will also be interesting to see how the Mets fare against the Phillies, the only team they have yet to face in the NL East.

We're not the only ones. Right now, the Mets are the class of their league, and with the Yankees uninspiring play as of late, are the toast of the sports back pages here.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The Mets are in first place right now, but if there is anything we've learned over the past three seasons, it's that divisions aren't won a month into the season and that there is ALWAYS a lot more baseball to be played no matter what the date is on the calendar.

That said, who the Phillies have been the last three years are, well, not who they are today in 2010. They have been hit by the injury bug themselves, with Jimmy Rollins out for an extended period of time, and Brad Lidge returning to the 'pen after a furlough to the DL. We'll miss Cole Hamels this weekend (not that it matters, he's still a little bitch), but we get to face Roy Halladay, who faces the red hot Mike Pelfrey on Saturday's Fox marquis game of the week.

I will say this: I give SLIGHT edge to the Mets this weekend with the injection of new blood in the form of Ike Davis, a streaking Jason Bay and overall better health team, I could easily see a two-out-of-three series win from the Mets. On the other hand, I do think that this series will separate the men from the boys.

*********************************************************
Speaking of Ike Davis and new blood, The Coop is moonlighting once a week over at the storied Mets fan site, MetsMerized Online. I have been friends with JoeD and crew for years, so this collaboration is a long time coming. My post this week is on the young Mr. Davis, referring to the Big Lebowski by calling him the Rug That Ties The Room Together. Enjoy.

**********************************************************
I have created a new community over at Facebook called Bay-Root and the Frenchy Riviera. I'm not quite sure what I plan on doing with it, right now it looks like a collection of photos of the two players. Join in, what's the harm?

7 comments:

A Phanatic said...

Let's go Phils!

debmc said...

Oh...blow me! :)

Coop said...

I hope that was directed to A Phan, Deb! LOL He's a good dude, even with the fan affiliation.

Coop said...

Oh btw, I forgot to say BRAD HAWPE

A Phanatic said...

Grrrrr

KeyportKeys said...

I agree with your opening statement... there's no better cure for a mets hot streak than a trip to philadelphia. I'd love to think things are different this year, but why should I think things are different this year? My faith in my team is so badly bruised, it's going to take more than a good week to restore it.

Anonymous said...

http://site.ru - [url=http://site.ru]site[/url] site
site