Saturday, March 06, 2010

Stop Drinking The Kool-Aid

I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid regarding Jenrry Mejia.

I couldn't help but chuckle reading this morning's New York Times over my waffles and tea, about Dan Warthen's and Jerry Manuel's reactions regarding our top prospect's spring training debut yesterday. Manuel nearly had to change his shorts exclaiming how excited he was about his performance, and Warthen claimed he was a "Major League pitcher today."

So Mejia's performance rounded out to 2 1/3 no-hit innings with four Ks. On paper, sure it sounds mighty delicious. Let's keep things in perspective here. I am a show-me kind of person. Show me he belongs with the big boys. A little over two innings in spring training against other scrubs on other teams duking it out for the 24th and 25th positions on teams doesn't really strike me as exciting. I hate to be a killjoy -- believe it or not, I am very excited to see him mature and grow as a pitcher and hopefully with the Mets.

I have been a fan for over 20 years. I have seen the best and brightest come up only to fall to demons. I have seen hyped-up phenoms fail miserably when thrust into the spotlight. I have seen a generation of pitchers driven into the ground by overzealous managers who desperately wanted to cling to something, anything, to make their teams appear better than they were. I have survived Lastings Milledge. Suffice to say, I am cautiously optimistic when it comes to Mejia. Major league ready though? Really?

Dan Warthen has no business proclaiming anyone is a major league pitcher, as he's been gifted with a rotation including one of the best in baseball, a guy who works very well with him and was basically brought on to be his personal coach and two others that are crapshoots but he can either look like a MF genius if they perform well or he can just sit back and say -- hey, wasn't me. As for Jerry Manuel, same thing. He needs some bright spot to help him move past the dismal seasons past and perhaps Mejia is doing that for him. To say he is a major league pitcher after two fucking innings and is ready for the big time is a bit premature, wouldn't you say?

I try not to get too up and down about spring training exhibition games, and neither should our fearless leaders. Let's have him mature a bit in the minors, then come back to me in June.

3 comments:

dgwPhotography said...

Forget June - I want Manuel nowhere near Mejia. Let him spend the entire year in the minors, learning his trade. We all know what too much stress on too young of an arm can do...

Solly said...

Yawn. I've heard the same praise about Shawn Abner, Stanley Jefferson, DJ Dozier, Generation K, Alex Ochoa, Milledge, Carlos Gomez, etc.

It's fucking March and Manuel is already blowing smoke up our ass. Fire this clown already. COOP FOR GM!

Bear Man said...

Jenrry Mejia - zero wins, five losses upon his promotion to Double-A in 2009. He's not ready for the Big Shew.

Even the Kool-Aid Man wouldn't say "Oh, YEAAAHHH!" when asked if Mejia belonged in the majors.