Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Greetings from Flushing, Bay

Apparently, the Mets have given a stay-of-execution for their fans who are unsure of renewing their plans. I was going to renew anyway, but I understand it is a huge commitment. Not just money but time as well.

Some fans wanted to wait and see who else renewed so they could get upgrades or perhaps pool resources. Others wanted to see just what the Mets would do or who they would sign if they even wanted to spend a bunch of moolah for 2010 for a lot of the same.

I did say this though. Once I figured out I was sitting in the LF reserved section next season, I knew that I would be starting a new community in Section 138, as long as a component was, well, there in 2010.

Due to the news hitting the tape today, I am hereby calling the left field reserve area at CitiField "Jason's Bay-Watch." Oh and in case you couldn't figure it out already, Jason Bay ("pending physical") should be a Met officially by next week. Just in time for the new year, just in time for pitchers and catchers and just in time for me to sit out in left field and heckle him like Hilda heckled Duke. (I know he never played LF but you get the idea)

It's also our answer to Mannywood. Yes, I know that Jason Bay is nowhere NEAR the player that Manny Ramirez is (just ask Red Sox Nation about that). But hey, he's got a marketable enough name, he's Canadian (actually, that doesn't mean anything...I just wanted to say "Eh?" right there) and we can all wear our orange one-pieces (Silicone optional). I'll be the Yasmeen-look alike in Section 138.

So what does this mean to the Coop? I can't say that I'm unhappy with the Bay signing. Ahem, I meant the "pending physical" unofficial-official Bay signing. I've made it clear on other forums that I prefer him for four years to eight-years of Holliday who just screams "O-ver-ray-ted (clap! clap! clapclapclap!)."

Jason Bay is a career.280/.376/.519 and unlike other Mets signings trying to plug up the gap in LF (Hello, Moises Alou), he's not 95 years-old and falling apart. He's a former Rookie of the Year and won an AL Silver Slugger Award in 2009. He plays hard, he's a well-rounded offensive and defensive player, and I think he will flourish in CitiField. He's like Carlos Beltran-lite. And we have three decent and above-average defenders in the out field. I think there's something that can be said about that (what, I don't know, but you figure it out).

Last but not least, getting Jason Bay is righting a wrong that was committed years ago under Steve Phillips' reign. Could you imagine if the awesome threesome coming through the Mets ranks in the early-2000s were Wright, Reyes AND Bay?

The Mets could do better, I'm sure, as someone mentioned on Twitter earlier. But the fact is, they could do worse, and for 2010, I don't think it's going to get better than Bay.

I'm okay with that. You should be too!

Happy Holi-Bays everyone!

4 comments:

Ed Leyro (and Joey) said...

At Shea Stadium (moment of silence for our beloved Shea, please), there used to be a large Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee in left field. Now that Jason Bay will be patrolling left field at New Shea, I propose something similar, except that it would be sponsored by Tim Horton's. What say you, eh?

Anonymous said...

I hate the mets, the phillies are where its at chokers!

Michael Leggett said...

I see that JEFFY didn't put the money into an East End Mansion:

An Extra good pitcher and things will look good in Corona;

Happy '10

jason heyward said...

The Red Sox will spend that money on pitching or a comparable player in free agency. I think Bay's stats will decline for the Mets because of their ballpark doesnt yield as many home runs.