Monday, September 14, 2009

Judgment Night

Well, the rumors you've heard are certainly correct.

The 2009 New York Mets are done. Finito. Kaput. Fin.

With Pedro Martinez's gem for the PHILLIES Sunday night, the 2009 Mets have officially started to mentally check out and queuing their tee times for October, while New York playoff baseball will presumably be played by another team.

We've been eliminated. Although I kept hope a lot longer than most fans, as I said in a trip to Brooklyn with CrazyMetGirl (to see the homecoming for one Carlos Beltran almost two weeks ago), the Wild Card was still a distinct possibility...if the Reinforce-Mets were to return as scheduled.

A Jose Reyes debacle later, Carlos Delgado's big bat nowhere to be found, Carlos Beltran still sitting out games, Johan and Oh Pea going down for surgery, it became clear that the only thing this team would be doing in October is drinking beers at Octoberfest.

So what does this mean? Well I can tell you what it's meant for me.

I've had so much free time.

I've been going to the gym. I've been eating better, not drinking as much, I'm taking care of myself.

I'm not rushing home at night to turn on the game at the absolute first second I could because...I could be missing something special.

I'm spending time with my Mets friends (and non-Mets friends) in atmospheres where we are not forced to watch games.

I go to a minor league game to see a current Mets rehab instead of watching the big team's game on television.

I eat the cost of my season tickets because I'd rather go home or go to the gym.

But judgment night for the 2009 Mets also means that we have a known expiration date to this season, Sunday, October 4.

I would venture to say, and I've been a fan for a long ass time, this has been possibly the most difficult season I've had to endure as a fan. Sure, in the past, I've had hope and it's been dashed within weeks of Opening Day and the seasons have been all but done with by All-Star Break.

This year was worse than the last two seasons, since at the very least we did have high expectations and hope for a post-season, to be dashed by the last game of the season.

This year was worse because we had such high expectations. And there was not a damned thing we could do about the events of this season. Besides maybe better conditioning.

I know I have to get my game face on and enjoy the game while I still have it. As another fan told me, baseball is the only sport that we have a countdown for pre-season.

And I have no desire to watch any games. Not even my adopted team, the California Angels.

I have to enjoy it now, or I'm not going to have it again for awhile.

The Mets are making it so hard for me to even muster up the enthusiasm to see them finish the season. I think I'm not the only one. Judging by the amount of fans who are going out to the stadium these days, I would say that's the case.

So what's next? Do we sit idly by and hope for the best as John Maine makes his case for the 2010 starting rotation, Jose Reyes plays his last game in 2009, and we have a semblance of a team with Beltran, Reyes and Wright together once again?

I don't know folks. This has been tough. But I know that the end to this season will be easier to take because we have each other.

1 comment:

Solly said...

Enjoy it Coop. Hockey aside, we're gonna be so depressed come December.

I've been saying it all summer - WORST. SEASON. EVER.

I'd rather deal with the highs and lows of a pennant race than just be indifferent to if/when the Mets lose.