Sunday, July 12, 2009

...To Meet the M-A-T-T-S! A Baseball Weekend...

I often don't heed my own advice.

I might have been known to say once or twice that a day of bad baseball is better than a day with no baseball at all. But recently, the Mets have been putting me to sleep. I go to a game, they get blown out, only to win the next day, then sleepwalk through yet another game. I know, I know, what I always say - it's the D LIST PEOPLE - but then, even I get tired of saying that to myself.

I needed a break. Even All-Star Break (which is a break to me, since I refuse to watch that Shit Show) is coming up but I needed something else. So I took Friday and Saturday off from the Mets, and made a date to go to the game today with two of my favorite people ever -- Greg from Faith and Fear and Zoe.

But I didn't take a break from baseball per se. I had the bright idea late Friday to think of going to Coney Island for the Ferry Series against the rival Staten Island Yankees. I mentioned this to Yankee fan pal Em Pea (kind of like Oh Pea except he's a not a pitcher I have a fanboy crush on) and kind of like The Coop he says - sure, why not? We had already attended a game in the House of Evil last month (which I will post pictures on during the break this week, I promise). So we take a trip to people watch and Cyclone/Yankee watch at KeySpan Park.

It was fun - very laid back, but something I needed to get me back in the groove of baseball, even though the Cyclones lost in a Big Boy Club fashion, 6-0. But as Woodside Frank used to say, you could go to a Cyclones game and if they lose it's no big deal. You are not a sour puss the rest of the day.

But I got to Meet the Matts, hence the title of the posting. You've more than likely seen these guys around, they are the bald dudes sporting sunglasses with Mets-colored sports jackets and suits. They are funny as hell and completely clever. Anyway, they were out representin' the orange and blue for the Cyclones while another friend masquerading as "Matt" (but told me his name was Brian) was dressed in Yankees colors.

Of course, I am not representing my team, unless you count the black in the mourning period I've been in all season.

Today was interesting though. As I said, I was sitting in the Coop seats in the Promenade with Greg and Zoe. Then a funny thing happened on the way to the start of the game. My old friend Bar gave me a call and said - hey! My kid and I are sitting in Section 126, you should come down here. Oh but Bar, I say, I have two other people here. No problem! We have an extra seat and there are tons of empty seats down here.

It was a no-brainer, Dear Two Readers. We went down. And this field level is a field level I have never experienced.
This was the view from our seats. Yow-ZA.

But the funniest thing that happened during the game was the Home Run Apple and its Performance Anxiety. See, Brian Schneider hit a home run. No, that was not a type-o. Although it was great seeing his tight butt in a white uniform, I gotta tell ya, seeing the HR apple come up after 80 innings without one from the team (that was something that was tweeted the inning before the HR) was pretty sweet.

Then something else happened.

ANOTHER home run was hit by Fernando Tatis. I was shocked. I mean. No one was on base. I said to Zoe - the good news is, he can't hit into a double play. But imagine my surprise when it cleared the LF fence!

But then...silence. No apple. Apparently, we've found out that it takes the Apple 2 1/2 minutes to reset. WTF is that about? This is the year 2009, folks. With all the bells and whistles this new park has, the HR Apple can't figure out a way to come up TWICE in the same inning?

Here's a pic of when it did come up. I swear, you'd think the Beatles with John Lennon and George Harrison reincarnated came back to bring down Flushing again, with a replay of the 6th game of the 1986 World Series.

It doesn't take much to amuse us fans these days. Here's a shot of the crowd going wild when the HR apple finally DID make an appearance. Better late than never, I suppose.

So the Mets won today, but of course it wasn't without incident, when K-Rod decided to make things interesting in the 9th, as per usual.

But the best part was that this series was a won series, they won the last two games of the series, took a rubber match finally AND...will go to the ASB on a high-ish note. I guess that even being three games under .500 is not THAT bad in the grand scheme of things. Especially now that we hear that Reyes and Delgado are working out and looking good. Perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I mean, in the movies we have guys like Ricky Vaughan becoming fan favorites and his team winning a pennant in a last-ditch playoff game. Which reminds me, I saw someone on the 7 train today going to the game who was WEARING a custom Cleveland Indians #99 jersey.

As long as there is baseball, we have colorful characters. Including the Matts. Which made my weekend. Even the Mets winning two of three didn't compare.

Will be writing during the break, because I only take a break for the All-Star Game, that I have boycotted pretty much since the 90s.

2 comments:

Julie/ChicagoMetsFan.com said...

I'd like to think that Schneider hit his homer for Ryan Church :-)

Kidding aside, I'm glad you got to go to a game and finally see a win!

MeetTheMatts.com said...

Wow! We are blushin' in Flushin'... Suffice to say, we are honored, bewildered and flattered BEYOND the belief that our Mutts can turn things around, even!!! - And that's sayin' a lot! All kidding aside, this is one address we'll be stopping at during our trips along the ISH - Information Super Highway... Keep up the excellent work!