Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Is It Time To Back Up The Truck?

After the horrifying loss Friday night against the Yanks, the mail-it-in Santana start on Sunday (in other words: EAGADS), and two games-that-got-away from the Phils, I ask you this.

Is it time to back up the truck?

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. And I mean it figuratively of course (wouldn't it be funny, though, to see a flat bed pulling up to the player's entrance in CitiField and having, say, Luis Castillo getting on there first). But I also mean, maybe it's time to hang up notions that this is a championship team and build around the core of Santana, Wright, Reyes and Beltran.

Again, it's not a bad thing. Who else are we going to build around...Alex Cora? Castillo? Fernando Tatis? Are we going to trade Reyes, Wright or Beltran? All three, everything considered, are incredibly cheap, all at fair market value (especially now that Beltran is in the last years of his contract). Santana, I mean, even if he is not pitching at his best, second-half Johan is right around the corner. He aint going anywhere either.

It is also not time for the panic move. My gut tells me Jose Reyes is not going to be back for awhile. My female intuition also tells me that Delgado has played his last game in a Mets uniform. Do we want to see Omar trade, say, Fernando Martinez for a Matt Holliday only to have him leave at the end of the season? Then we see F-Mart become a fan fave someplace else, and we are still stuck at square one. We also traded a lot of talented pieces for J.J. Putz. And where exactly is J.J. Putz right now? Exactly.

Also bear in mind, Billy Beane is Matt Holliday's boss. Beane hates Omar. See, I love these Mets pundits who come out every year and say Omar should do a deal with Beane. First...WE HAVE NOTHING BEANE WANTS. Second...look at the first. Nothing to see here, folks. Keep moving. In 2006, when everyone was up in arms about Zito being a FA in the offseason and that Omar should get him as a half-year rental, Beane said on a radio show he hadn't even spoken to Omar. I'm willing to believe him than some local sports writing hack who has nothing better to do than drum up trade rumors. I would rather get Carlos Lee, personally, but that's just me talkin'.

And mainly, the reason I say it's time to back up the truck is this. I was at the Mets/Yankees game on Saturday. I owe my three readers a write-up on that. Anyway, I saw my enemy-defender friend Paulie Vee at the game. Like most Yankee-fan mentalities, he said that Omar should "overpay" for Pedro. First off, pitching really isn't the problem right now. Pelf has had a bad start but will come around. Maine is injured but he'll be fine (I think). Santana is Santana. Oh Pea will be back (oh yes, he will be). And Livan has really been holding his own. Pedro has F'd this team over more times than come through for them in the past four years. Leave it to a Yankee fan to go for the name and not what the stats represent.

Yankee fans are always looking for the easy way out, with overpaying for free agents and trading for chips with everything they have in their system. They didn't make the playoffs last year and it looks like, even with the highest payroll in MLB, they will be hoping for the Wild Card.

THE WILD CARD PEOPLE!!

Do we want out team to be like that? I thought better of Mets fans. I haven't given up on this team yet, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to just suck it up, play ball, not care about the outcome...and wait till next year to build around the core.

2 comments:

DyHrdMET said...

the imagery of Castillo getting on the truck is classic. I almost fell out of my seat laughing.

I hesitate with the concept of rebuilding, not because it IS the right thing to do, but because it means that these big men (Mr. Wilpon, his annoying son, and the GM who lost his way) would have to admit to a few mistakes, and I just don't see that happening. Personally, I can sweat through this season, but if we don't make the playoffs (and I don't think we will), it's time to clean house starting with Omar (I wish it could go higher, but it just can't) and going down all the way to the farm system and medical staff.

CharlieH said...

I consider it a high honor that I'm one of the three...