Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fuckin' Franco

Tonight was a night of memories from the get-go.

Actually this season so far has been a metaphor for a lot of bittersweet memories.  As a for instance, I had a Kenny Rogers Karma piece up earlier this season.  I've been living the life of great Mets philosopher Kevin McReynolds.  The last two seasons have brought upon a new medical term called "Post-Traumatic Mets Disorder."

But tonight was interesting for several reasons, as we had a two-fer.  One was, the commemorative Mets victory over a certain team with the name of a regional bird 40-years ago coinciding with another 40th anniversary of a music festival promoting peace and love.  

About 40 strong (instead of 400,000 strong) descended upon a Metsopotamia-Town-Hall on the Lower East Side tonight, celebrating what our Leader(s) termed as "MetsStock."

(Here were five representatives of the 40 strong)

In the meantime, I had a funny memory of my own.  See, I wasn't worried going into the 9th inning, which I guess make sense.  I mean, if you figure that you win either way (the Mets win, we all win.  If they lose, it just means I drink more.  See?  Win-win), you kind of don't care that Frankie R gives up a lead-off double and the Mets just don't get the calls they should.

But no -- what I thought of was kind of one of those bittersweet memories most of us seasoned Mets fans have.  

Back in 1996, I attended a game with Mr. E and one of his special lady friends.  It was a double-header in July of that year.  I forget who they played, but I want to say it was the Reds.  In any case, the first game was boooooring.  Like, biology class boring.  Anyway, it was the 9th inning and "bullet proof relief-man" (that's a bit of irony there folks) John Franco comes in, and promptly gives up the tying runs.

I think the other team went ahead in the 10th.  Needless to say, because we were falling asleep, Mr. E and I got out of dodge.  But not before a lone voice in the Upper Deck of Section 30-something said what he wanted to say - said what we were all thinking actually.

"FUCKIN' FRANCO!!!!!!!"

That was what I was thinking when K-Rod changed his name to BB-Rod and 1B-Rod or 2B-Rod or WALK-OFF TO THE FUCKING BALTIMORE ORIOLES ROD...Eh, you get the point.

Can't get too mad.  In 2006, the Orioles took the series of a vastly superior Mets team.  I know, we are hardly superior this year.  But when you are thinking like Kevin McReynolds, either scenario, you win, right?  Right?

Oh and as irony would have it, I go to grab a shirt to sleep in.  These were my two choices.
This wasn't just done for the site.  Seriously, these were my two choices.  

I ended up going with Choice #3 - a Jersey Shore Jazz & Blues Foundation Shirt. 

Sometimes, Kevin McReynolds Philosophy doesn't take away the bitterness of a bittersweet memory. 

Whatever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was on the newspaper when he saw the watch again. How time flies! 50 years had passed since he saw it the last time. He never stopped finding it during the 50 years. He was too old to remember too many things. However, everything about her was still engraved in his mind and never disappeared.[url=http://www.good4shopper.com/chronoswiss-watches.html]replica chronoswiss watches[/url] [url=http://www.luxucenter.com/]Louis Vuitton for sale[/url] [url=http://www.sunglassescool.com/louis-vuitton-sunglasses.html]louis vuitton glasses[/url] Rolex watches are amazing. A gorgeous Rolex watch looks great and stylish. As we all know that Rolex watches are known for its strength and endurance, that's why Rolex watches have a good reputation for so many years. And also you will see the quality and precision reflected in each Rolex watch. So, Rolex is a name that thousands of people had dreamed of.