Friday, June 05, 2009

Don't Panic!

Dear Mr. Minaya:
If you choose not to read past the first line of this letter please just read these two words:

Don't Panic.

What I mean is - don't panic in the vein of not trading Lastings Milledge for Manny Ramirez when you had the chance.

What I mean is - panicking and trading Xavier Nady for Oliver Perez and Roberto Hernandez.

What I mean is - not panicking and not making a move for Pat Burrell or Adam Dunn or some other big bat when it was clear the Mets needed one.

What I mean is - don't panic and get Vicente Padilla because we are missing J.J. Putz for pretty much the rest of the season.

What I mean is - don't panic and do an a la Steve Phillips move and trade away a young, promising infielder with a peppy bat for an overpriced aging veteran who will not be on the team next year.

When I defend you - much like Elisabeth Hasselbeck defending George W. Bush - one thing I like to bring up is the deal not made. This offseason, it was not going for Derek Lowe. I can understand not giving him a fourth year. But you gave Pedro Martinez a fourth year. And give Oliver Perez three-years.

Never mind that. My point is, you are the master of the Deal Not Made.

Now channel that and don't do a "Panic Move" for a guy who may be gone after this season. Or a dude who's a head case.

Please spare my oratory skills at defending you. Please spare me sounding like an annoying right-wing idiot. Please spare my liver at drinking heavily at games because you made a shitty move.

These are the times that separate the men from the pussies. This is why you signed Carlos Beltran for seven years back in the 2004-going-into-2005 offseason. This is when David Wright just doesn't care, stops putting pressure on himself and starts hitting. This is when Johan Santana starts coming into form (though we can't complain about his performance thus far).

That is why I say - don't panic, Omar. Please don't panic. We are still paying for panic moves you made years ago. Some of your panic moves are a complete draw.

Please just let this one unfold. Give F-Mart more playing time, promote Jon Niese if you have to. But right now, let the boys play. And don't mess with anything else.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Coop D. Coop

1 comment:

CharlieH said...

I hear you.

I wonder if Omar does.