Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Ugly

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Coop, who loved going on road trips to follow her favorite baseball team, the New York Mets. This year was no different but as the stars aligned and realigned themselves, she decided it would not be a good idea to go to L.A., although Dodger Stadium to her is one of the holy grail stadiums she would like to see the Mets play at in her lifetime.

Well, I guess the stars were trying to tell me something, right? I couldn't even stay up to watch the game, but the replays and the box score are enough to drive me batty.

To think, I was initially glad that I would be missing a Redding start because I skipped the LA trip. Truth be told, he was not the problem and did a good job. He did was fifth starters need to do (or whatever the hell number he is, I've lost track) and keep them in the game.

I could wax intellectual about this -- I am no fan of Ryan Church, although I have named him a key to the season. Baserunning bloopers like his though make me not only less of a fan BUT give credence to the idea that he is a key to the season. A key to LOSING GAMES.

Angel Pagan. OK it's bad enough that Carlos Beltran is a little gunshy to call off a player who is calling his ball (Mike Cameron anyone?) - not that I blame him. I come down hard on Beltran every now and then but he's the best we've got. Now Pagan is back in the place that put him on the DL last year to begin with and he has a brain fart? I feel like that movie The Replacements.

Now, losing Delgado is a bitter pill to swallow. It's hard to replace his offense. I can't think though losing him for the season or the majority of it will be the be-all/end-all for the team. Beltran, Wright or Reyes is one thing. Delgado? Personally I thought it was a mistake to exercise his option for this season but meh - I'm sure we can do something in the meantime. Wow, I'm not jumping off a cliff for this. What the hell is wrong with me?

The best we can do right now is to dust off, move on. 'Cause losses like these do not show me much of the good, or much of the bad. It was all just ugly.

Let's take two.

4 comments:

Down 10-0.... 2:11 to go said...

Good call , not going for that disaster. My buddy was there and I'm sure he's just thrilled to have to go back again tonight.

I agree with the loss of Delgado not being not catastrophic but Reyes needs to get back on the field and in that lead off spot

Julie/ChicagoMetsFan.com said...

See, I don't think Ryan Church is that bad. It could be Milledge in the outfield still. At least Church is cute.

Will said...

I will say hello to Dodger Stadium for you tonight.

Rickey Henderson said...

Coulda been worse... at least Manny wasn't around to add to the pain.