Monday, May 04, 2009

Serenity Now

What a difference a day makes.  Or more apt, what a difference a rain-out, then a win makes.

Today, I witnessed a lot in the forums.  Lots of Mets fans placing the blame on someone.  It's Omar's fault.  It's the Wilpons' fault.  Jerry is a moron.  The team is soft.  

But whatever Omar Minaya said the other day about lacking an "edge" seemed to hit home for the team.  After tonight's win, things seemed to click into place.  Sure, John Maine might not have had his best stuff but he did last six innings.  The 'pen did what it was supposed to do.

Carlos Beltran proves why he was predicted as MSF's MVP candidate.  Even if he is a pussy, he showed he had "edge."  Even David Wright seemed to click into second gear, as May started and he started.  

I missed some of the game tonight but it was 3-0 Atlanta by the time I got around to it.  

Who here thought - no way we win this game?

Yeah, I thought it.  For a minute.  Okay, maybe a while.

The funniest part about the game wasn't even the game but the post-game press conference.  Jerry Manuel had to state over and over and over (and over) again about the fact that Carlos Beltran is a "leader" and has "great leadership qualities."

And then John Maine had to make it a point to say that they wanted to win this game.  There was a vibe in the clubhouse.  Blah blah blah.

It was funny to me because it was exactly what the fans want to hear.  I mean, are they reading our comments (or my latest Big Pussy Pick over at GBU)?  We want to hear their desire to win.  We want to hear that they don't want to take no for an answer.

We want them to win the games as much as we do.

*****************************************************
Dear Oliver,

I know, I dumped you last year, and you've been licking your wounds since.  But you came around and got strong.  Now I know you are troubled again.  

I just want you to know that though I've moved on, I still believe in you.

Well, I want to believe in you.

But I can't believe in someone who can't believe in himself.

Stop reminding me that Victor Zambrano once lived.

Thanks.

Yours very truly,
Coop dee Coop

1 comment:

CharlieH said...

Another great post from Super Cooper!