Friday, January 30, 2009

This Used to Be My Playground

I can't believe that spring training is right around the corner.  And that Shea Stadium is on its last legs*...

And tomorrow, join other Mets fans at the Willets Point Social Club (aka Willets Point stop on the 7 train) to say farewell to Shea, at 12 pm.  According to Metsblog, the meeting will take place at the old Gate A (which is over by the Grand Central Parkway overpass traffic circle-type thing).  

I am getting teary eyed looking at this photo.  Thanks to Michael Leggett from Random Fandom for sending it to me (and allowing MSF to use).  I would be there tomorrow but I have a previous engagement.  Very sad.  But on the bright side, going to Flushing on a 30-degree winter day is not my idea of a fun Saturday, no matter how nostalgic things may be.

Please share your stories if you go tomorrow!!

5 comments:

Michael Leggett said...

Coop?

You have permission on any of my Shea Photos;

Home Plate Area And LF line in Upper Level, have been removed;

It's getting smaller;

Will be appearing in NY Newsday, tomorrow, or Today.

Michael Leggett said...

Was Freezing My arse off at Shea. Today:

More Photos on the way;

Mike

DyHrdMET said...

I think I met one of your friends walking around Citi Field from the subway. It was amazing being around all these fans. Check out my recaps with links, photos and videos on http://RememberingShea.blogspot.com

Michael Leggett said...

A Video for Red Sox Nation of a couple Of Minutes Length, was shot:

I got choked up filming it.

Ceetar said...

I've mentally moved on from Shea to Citi, but still it's going to hurt, and would probably be better for everyone, if the structure is gone by opening day. I'm sure SNY will give us deconstructions pictures anyway during the broadcast though.