Thursday, December 11, 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For...

You go to any other sites and you hear plenty of naysayers. I'm usually the one jumping into someone's defense. Everyone here knows I support Omar Minaya. I may not like 100% of everything he does, but I think he's the best we have for now. Not to mention, he always gets his splashy signing, and is pretty innovative. Some were criticizing Omar for not making moves FAST enough. Even the K-Rod signing met some criticism that all Minaya knows how to do is throw around money. Bear in mind that even last offseason, Johan Santana wasn't traded to the team till January.

Hell, I've even defended Aaron Heilman to be a starter for the team!! I say, let him get into his groove by starting. He may not have the cajones to be a reliever but I think he'd be a damn good starter.

Well, now we won't have to worry about that ever again. We wanted a set-up man, we got him! J.J. Putz was traded to the team in a blockbuster three team trade last night. In the meantime say goodbye to Heilman, Endy and Joe Smith. (I know Will we be upset about the last one) We also got some pitching scrub from the Mariners named Sean Green (irony, I know) and outfielder Jeremy Reed. I know Putz is awesome, but trading away Heilman and Smith could be worse for the long run. Look, now I am the naysayer.

I guess my Endy Chavez bobblehead broke at the right time, folks. But believe it or not, I won't miss him. Endy is known for the "catch" but honestly - if we look at the big picture of that game, it meant nothing. It was just flashy. And can Sean Green start? (his stats look like a reliever - can someone pipe in? I don't know much about him) At least Heilman had the desire and could be converted to a starter.

Look, folks. This team has a lot more holes to fill than the bullpen. Because after essentially the 5th batter, the Mets had NO threat or pop in the bottom of the order. Will Reed provide that? At .269 for last year, I don't know. And I mean, is the rotation next year going to be Santana, Pelf and Maine - then pray for rain? This team will lose Ollie - that is a certainty. Now I hear that the team is looking to re-sign Pedro for a year? Oh, right after ALL that he's done for us in the past three years? I'd rather have the rotation I stated above.

Look, I know many people did not like Heilman. And I guess I had to come to grips with the idea that he would eventually be traded because there would be NO WAY he'd ever hit the green on Opening Day 2009 to the boos he'd eventually get.

But I'm telling you, when he becomes an elite starter -- I'll be there to say I told you so.

But I guess overall I can be happy about Putz. But be careful what you wish for folks. More changes look to be happening.

2 comments:

Rickey Henderson said...

Sorry, but Rickey seriously doubts that Heilman will emerge from his pissy little coccoon to become a dominant starting pitcher. Rickey, for one, welcomes the comedic fodder that comes with singing a guy named Putz.

will said...

you know me too well, coop.