Thursday, August 14, 2008

Put On Your Big Boy Pants And Deal With It

I haven't written a Big Pussy's post in a few months now, basically because I was a big pussy myself and couldn't muster up the gall to do it every week. Hopefully, I'll be back at GBU with some ruminations in a few weeks.

But for now, I will nominate Mets fans as the Big Pussy Pick of the Year for a few things. And mostly for the mob mentality I have been experiencing in other forums re: the bullpen.

Yes, I am aware that they suck. And I am aware they've blown 20 saves and according to Metsblog, have only won seven of those games. I know it's ugly. But the fact of the matter is, after last night's brutal slay of NL East rival Nationals, the Mets are back in first.

All better now? See, I'm tired of listening to fans rip on the team, rip on Omar Minaya (who has gotten his fair share of criticism from me, but I will just attest he's done an okay job, not a great job, he's done his part for now), and rip on the state of affairs that the team is just not "that good."

I know being in first place on August 14 is not that big of a bragging right. But it's ours for now, and you know what? I'll take it.

I said last week that I'm refusing to get bent over losses, no matter how painful they are. For one, my cardiologist says it's not good for me. And two, I just know that we still have lots of baseball to play.

Sure I'll be disappointed if their season does not extend into October. But right now, I'm kind of enjoying this passionate yet stress-free existence.

But I know that some Mets fans have nothing to say if they have nothing to complain about. So there that is.

All I can say to that is what my dear old aunt would say -- Put on your big boy pants and DEAL WITH IT!! Enjoy it while we can. It could be worse...we could be Nationals fans.

***************************************************
Brooklyn Met Fan and I would like to cordially invite you to Blondie's next Friday, August 22, to watch the game amongst friends (7:10 pm start). No special reason, we talked about it last week, then a surprise guest (if you click on the link, it won't be a surprise anymore) said she'd be in town and would love to meet up with us. So now, it's a BMF, CMF and MSF party!!!

Be there, or you'll pull a hammy.

2 comments:

Ceetar said...

Sadly, I work the night shift, which really sucks for watching Mets games, nevermind going to them.

I still get frustrated a losses, because they're usually frustrating, but I've been saying all year that the Mets will be in first in August and September. I just expected them to be better, but it's obvious that the Phillies are not great, and that when the Mets play well, they find themselves in first.

Judge Roughneck said...

OK, I know it's lame to cross-promote in the comments section of someone else's blog, but I'm lame. And I only get about 20 readers a day right now, so I really could use the exposure. But I went into this topic right after Monday's terrible loss, basically reminding people that bullpens are volatile and it's silly to expect them NOT to blow leads. Some years, your bullpen goes great and you can ride them to the playoffs - other years they are ordinary and produce just like the Mets' pen is doing this year.