Sunday, August 17, 2008

Interesting

So, as I getting my daily morning crack...erm...Mets news from Metsblog, Matt over there informs us that Anderson Hernandez was traded to the Washington Nationals for relief RHP Luis Ayala. I would gather that this is a classic case of garbage in, garbage out, since it was obvious that though his D was on, Andy Hernandy wouldn't amount to more than the Rey Ordonez of 2B. It's also obvious that Andy is the odd man, with the emergence Lil Reyes aka Argenis Reyes more than doing his part -- plus let us not forget that Omar Minaya INSISTED upon giving Luis "Family Matters" Castillo a four-year contract, bad-knees and all.

That said, I have a bad feeling about Ayala. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he'll do just fine out of the 'pen. His numbers might not suggest so, but remember that the Nats suck, don't give a lot of run support to their pitchers, and they are in last place. Perhaps Ayala will adjust to new surroundings on a first place team (hee hee).

My concern though is the long-term implication for Billy Wagner.

As it was announced several times during the game, and even on Metsblog itself, Billy won't be returning on Monday as we originally planned. Turns out he's thrown some simulated game conditions and is not up to the job yet. Wagner was sent back to New York to be re-examined.

Well, doesn't that suck?

Was he up to the job to begin with? I wonder, because he was lights out at the beginning of the season, then became John Franco Part Deux.

My thought is, with the bullpen being shaky, Eddie Kunz being too young and a little shaky himself (though I think that he'll turn out OK), and our offense turning it off after the first inning (except for last night!), WTF is going to happen to our 'pen stability if Wagner is out for an even more extended period of time.

Best case: he's re-examined, has a tired arm and is out for a few more day, MAYBE another 15-days as a precaution, and he comes back with a vengeance for the October push.

Worst case: he'll rush back and either further hurt himself, or worse, he'll keep blowing saves when they matter most.

Either way, we could be in for a really nail-biting ride. Join with me folks! I'm going to manage to stay calm, although I was throwing things at the television last night.

1 comment:

Michael Leggett said...

Omar calls Washington(Montreal) and looks for the familiar(JUNK). What else is new!