Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hiding on the Backstreets

I did a lot of walking this weekend.

Yesterday, it was not exactly my choice (ask SNK about that and find out what a moron I am). Today, it was, and I took a lot of time to think about the state of the Mets. And all the while, listening to Born to Run -- which as legend has it, I listened to the first time ever in the womb, september 1975. Which is just as well, because save a few other albums (and maybe most of U2's catalogue), if someone told me this was the only album I could listen to for the rest of my life, I'd not complain.

Anyway, back to baseball.

Well the last two days have been interesting. We were able to see the best and the worst of the Mets this year Saturday and Sunday. From frustratingly pulling your hair out as they leave bases loaded with 1-out, to coming through in the clutch in a road-team top of the inning.

I guess after 10-straight wins, I can't afford to complain about two measly losses out four games, sandwiched between two really good scrappy wins. I know, still against the Reds (and what is it with Bronson Arroyo owning this team? Seriously, he is just not that great!!). But still, the weekend of our games coupled with the Phils vs Marlins have left Mets and Phils once again at Square One. And by Square One, I mean tied for first in the NL East.

And who are the Mets playing in an upcoming three-game series, class? The Phillies. I know it's only July, and just a week after All-Star Break, but the next time we face the Phils it's for two games at the Cit at the end of August. I will go on record say these next three games are must-wins. That said, if we take two of three, I can't complain either.

So what's to say? Prior to Thursday's pummeling of him, if someone told me that Johan Santana would be facing Joe Blanton and his 5-12 record, I'd have laughed and said, let's just put that in the win column now.

But let's face it -- today, the Mets faced Edison Volquez, with his 12-3 record with 2.29 ERA and managed to knock him out of the game by the 5th inning.

Today, I managed to do some walking around the neighborhood, and did a lot of thinking about the upcoming series against the Phils. I thought of how when I talked to SNK while watching the game last night at BMF's haunt (where we also ran into A Phanatic -- speaking of BMF, be sure to look out for reruns of Mets Weekly, as he gives some commentary on our bench!), we talked about how Jerry Manuel does not seem to show Endy love (defensive replacement in the 8th inning? Hello) to the lack of sac flies...seriously, guys, work on getting looong fly ball outs. All in all, SNK was also concerned about facing this Volquez guy today while watching the team get hammered for 7 runs last night against the likes of David Weathers.

I had to laugh to myself as I combed the streets of Hoboken today (not much else to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon when the game is over), when I thought that had Volquez had a 9.22 ERA with a 3-12 record going into the game, he'd have pitched a shut out.

So suffice to say I am a little nervous about facing Blanton tomorrow, especially given all the rumors with him being linked to the team. Or not, given how Barry Zito has always performed as a goat against the Mets since signing his gargantuan contract with the Giants over the Mets.

But hey, I'm not gonna stress about it...yet. Come back to me on Wednesday when I'm having a nervous breakdown about how the Mets played on Tuesday...good OR bad.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to queue up Jungleland on my iPod...

1 comment:

SNK said...

haha it's too true, coop! I can't believe how hard it is to be confident in a santana/blanton matchup, especially since santana has been dominant (on normal rest at least!) But it just seems so perfectly set up for a complete game shutout in blanton's debut...I better be wrong!

Hope you've recovered from all that walking :)