Sunday, July 13, 2008

Happy RECoop - First Half Observations!

That's What *I'M* Talkin' 'Bout, Bitches!!!

As I write, the Mets vs. Rockies Sunday Night Baseball game is approaching the bottom of the 8th.

Big Pelf may have just thrown his last pitch of the night, but not because he's stinking up the joint. But because *shock! horror!* he is actually the pitcher the scouts touted him to be.

I owe the Big Pelf a BIG apology, since I thought he was all hype. My bad.

But better than that, the Mets, after over a year of playing lackadaisacal and uninspired ball, are FINALLY playing the way Omar Minaya, the Wilpons and yes, even former manager Willie Randolph, told us they could play. Of course, if Jerry Manuel needed to stir the pot to get the most out of this team, so be it. I'll take it.

And as we approach the All Star Break, chances are the Mets will be in second place, 0.5 games back. Can I get an AMEN to that? Thanks.

What else can I say? Finally, I am seeing not only signs of life, but things clicking. Clutch hitting (hello, two-out hits with RISP!), key bullpen performances and yes, starting pitching holding up its end of the bargain. In a month, we've seen Carlos Delgado go from being trade bait for a pair of shoes (that only I can wear) to being on a tear, with a pace for 30 HRs and 100 RBIs. WTF? How the heck did THAT happen?

I can say look out for the second half -- better, stronger performances from Johan, Oh Pea and Maine, but also the come-uppance of Big Pelf. Mark my words, this guy is going to go on more of a roll after the break.

Then of course, we have some key serieses coming up in the form of Phillies and Braves in the next month-plus. That said, the Coop has some predictions to make:

a.) We are going to steamroll the Phils
2.) We are going to steamroll the Braves
D.) We are going to see some fights on the field -- pretty sure with the Phils

Let's face it, they have a LOT to prove, as do the Mets, but the Mets are playing their best baseball right now, so it will be interesting to see that dynamic. All I can say is, the Phils backed into the NL East last year. They backed in, we never hear about the Phils winning the division more than the Mets collapse, one would not have happened without the other, y'know?

My point is, I expect a little frustration to spill over. Like, maybe, say, Carlos Beltran hits a grand slam and Delgado or Easley (who has been my new favorite Met recently) gets HBP. Just sayin', I don't condone it...

But man, it would be fun to watch the Mets kick the crap out of this team. Especially Shane Victorino. God I hate that guy.

Anyway, I am getting way too ahead of myself. Let's simmer down for a few days with the ASB, then the Mets can continue to Take Care of Business.

As of 10:45 pm, Sunday, July 13, you can put it in the books that the Mets WON Nine in a Row.

Repeat after me.

NINE IN A ROW.

We're going places, I can feel it.

1 comment:

Rickey Henderson said...

Damn what a way to end the first half. Rickey is positively tumescent.