Saturday, May 03, 2008

The Maine Warrior

I think it's official: I love to watch John Maine pitch. I loved how he beat himself up on the mound, only to be talked down by Willie, and then come back and refuse to be taken out of the game at 100 pitches. Save a shaky second inning, he was pretty much lights-out the rest of the way. I'm looking forward to seeing him dominate the rest of the season (after all, I did predict he'd be the best Mets starter this year).

This is also official: Jose Reyes needs to get his head out of his ass for the Mets to win ballgames. (That's a fact) Almost missing the cycle by narrowly missing an inside-the-parker? Be still my heart.

Another thing: Ryan Church NEEDS to be hitting in the two-hole. Shit, he would be MVP batting after Reyes this whole season.

We can't deny: Arizona is a phenomenal team. With the ace of the National League (until Johan can officially take that title...or John Maine can...) leading the way in Brandon Webb, Danny Haren and Micah Owings solidifying the rest of that rotation, you can't shake a stick at the rest of the team either including young Conor Jackson, Justin Upton and stalwarts Byrnesie and Stephen Drew. Forget the Mets, the Phils or even the Braves - they can't hold a candle to the "real" team to beat. On paper, that is.

We have two more games to play this road-stand against them, and for the first time this season, I am excited to see how this pans out. Although Webb has to lose sometime (with his league-best 6-0 record), will it be against the Mets and Big Pelf? What about tomorrow, Danny Haren (the former object of Mets fans desires) vs. Johan Santana?

I'll tell you this - the Mets do have a good chance of winning both of those games. I'm confident we are going to see a different team this time around.

And good to see Moises back. He shoulda gone 4-4 and hit the cycle though...

I also like West Coast Friday night games. It means I can sleep till 1 pm the next day...

**************************************************
I'm sure you are wondering why I have been so quiet about this whole Billy Wagner-calling-out-Oh-Pea thing. Honestly, I am a firm believer that whatever goes on in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse - but this was something that the fans, the media and Ollie needed to hear straight up.

People have criticized Wags - he comes in to pitch one inning. He hangs out in the 'pen the whole game. He's shown support for Mike Pelfrey when it was obvious he was rushed to pitch, and openly hated-on Lastings Milledge with the whole "Know your place, Rook!"

But I like him and am thrilled that someone has the brass to call the team out (not just Oh Pea - let's be fair - he called the whole team out). Not to mention, it's the bullpen that is getting killed every night from mismanagement, no support from the starters, getting no help from the offense that goes to sleep seemingly after they score what they perceive to be enough runs.

The truth is - Oh Pea needs to step up. He has to stop being a card-carrying member of the Big Pussy Posse and play up to his potential. Why did the Bucs give up on him? Why does it seem like the Mets were the only team willing to give him a contract extension, when he's so iffy, even Jason Jennings with his lifetime 5 ERA and career 1.56 WHIP seems more reliable (cause at least you know what you are getting out of him). You don't know which Ollie is going to show up.

And last but certainly not least, I applaud Wags for calling out Willie and his continued mismanagement of the 'pen. You can't put every single one of your guys out there every single night. Saying "it's not the 7th game of the World Series" but clearly the pressure is on you to win and you manage it like it is Game 7.

Look, I am a big sour puss when the Mets lose. Especially with a 12-run difference against the motherfucking Pirates. But let's be fair here. I know they will lose at least 50 games per year. I know they will win at least 50 games. It's the other 62 games that matter.

They need to stop all the talk, however, and win some motherfucking ballgames.

2 comments:

Andrew Vazzano said...

With Church batting second, the Mets are 6-0.

Reyes is batting .500 and Church is batting .400.

Willie should be fired if he ever changes that...and I'm betting he will...soon.

crazymetgirl said...

This? Is why I can't get over-excited after one good win... I need more than one in a row.

Of course Willie will screw up the Church thing.... he'll probably reason that because they lost today, he should move Ryan out of the 2 spot.

And it's so true... when Reyes comes right out and gets things started, everyone follows suit. I can't comment on the rest of the game today because I went out for an early dinner with a friend, so by the time I got back in the car, Ryan was sending me texts about the problems Drrrrty was having before I even got the radio on.

It's ok though... I'm excited to see Johan pitch tomorrow and hopefully we can take the series heading into La-La Land.