Saturday, March 15, 2008

Coop's Keys to the 2008 Season: Part One

I decided to try something a little different here at MSF. Instead of having my Coop's keys to the season in one post right before the season started, I figured I would do one per week until the start of the season. Fair 'nuff?

And since the New York Times ran a story on Scott Schoeneweis today, I thought, how perfect of an intro. See, I have been saying recently that in 2008, we are going to see a breakout year for Scott Schoeneweis.

Therefore, Scott Schoeneweis is going to be Coop's Key to the Season, Part One.

Basically, the idea behind the NYT story is that Schoeneweis has been injured and pitched injured in 2007. Geez, where have we heard that one before? The only probs is that we never knew Schoe was hurt or pitched hurt. We just thought he sucked.

An in all seriousness for a middle-relief dude, who was 0-2 and sported a 5.03 ERA, lackluster was too kind a word to use. Career-wise, he is a below-.500 pitcher and sports a lifetime 5.01 ERA. Say it with me folks - YEESH, we gave this guy a three-year contract? BRING BACK CHAD BRADFORD!!

Okay, let me go out on a limb here. I have a knack of picking out players who are going to be the next break-out and you can say you heard it here first.

Scott Schoeneweis is going to be to the Mets in 2008 what Duaner Sanchez was in the first-half of 2006. Should this happen, it will benefit the Mets in many ways. For one, it takes the pressure off Big Pussy Heilman and off Dirt McGirt himself for having to shoulder (uh, no pun intended) the burden of being the go-to guys in the BP. Not to mention, the Mets are missing an arm with no Mota. That's good, but besides the point. I have a feeling Willie is going to turn to Schoeneweis a lot.

On the surface, this could have been a bad thing. For one, if he continues to put up stats like he traditionally has, it could seriously hurt the team. But the pressure is off in a way in 2008.

For one, if you are a Mets fan, how could you not be excited about the state of the starting pitching staff. And I don't even mean Johan the Great, but a full year of Pedro, a matured John Maine (who reminds me more and more of a former Met great David Cone) and a less-chaotic Oh Pea...not to mention the emergence of "Big Pelf." This means, the pressure for the bullpen to come into tight games won't be there as much (we hope...). But also for the likes of Scho, BP and Dirt to come into a more relaxed atmosphere. It will be like 2006 all over again.

I know there are a lot of "ifs" to contemplate too. Which The Coop will address in other Keys to the Season predictions. But mark my words, when we hear Scott Schoeneweis' name announced as he comes into the game, let's not let out a collective groan. Let's see what he can do. Because I believe that he will have his break out.

5 comments:

Me said...

Oh, I can't wait for the season to start!!

Let's hope the this year's bullpen is like a t-shirt worn by Rick Peterson: we know it's there, but we never see it...

Or, they could just be good. Either way!

Megan said...

I hope you're right, I've always liked the Show. Even when he's saying how tough the boos were it doesn't feel like he's putting the blame on the fans because he'd always be the first to admit he sucked last year. Hopefully this season he'll get to redeem himself in a big way.

Super Johan said...

Hey Coop come to my blog at http://metsmagicteam.blogspot.com/

Michael Leggett said...

3 MORE Years?

Who smuggled the pot via peanut butter jars into Shea Stadium with this one?

schmifty said...

Great blog, Coop! (found you via BMF). Oh man, I never had much of an opinion on Schoe before except that natural gut reaction of "OH NO" when he comes into a game, but since meeting him last week, wow. He's so hysterical (who knew? not me!) and his help is the only reason I got to meet Pelf, so I gotta love the guy. Let's hope it really is his year!!!