Saturday, December 01, 2007

You Have to Be Fucking Kidding Me, Omar

I know, I am a little late to the game here, but save emailing countless Mets fans, posting on blogs and forums, I had to truly think of the angle The Coop was going to take.

Last week, I was extolling the virtues of trading Guillermo Mota for a warm body, aka Johnny Estrada. Who was more than a warm body, but hey, at least a very serviceable catcher with some upside.

There was also some rumor that Estrada didn't have a contract in place and could be non-tendered if the Mets were to work out a deal with the O's to score Ramon Hernandez and Erik Bedard. But for who? Well, Lastings Milledge was always the centerpiece of any deal.

I mean let's think -- last year, we hear rumors of Stings for Zito straight up (or maybe Heilman thrown in, depending on who you heard from). Two years prior to that, Stings was the centerpiece for ANY deal involving Manny Ramirez. Even for the failed Roy Oswalt deal, Stings would have ended up...somewhere, potentially Baltimore.

Seemed to make sense that B-More might want some young flashy talent.

But yesterday...yesterday once again, has me saying not just "What the fuck are you doing to my team, Omar?" But...

FULL AUTONOMY MY BIG FAT ASS!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, Stings spent a good part of the season injured. Now, had he been well, I'm certain we would have seen a lot more of him. But save the "Bend Ya Knees"-gate at the beginning of the season, Stings seemed to be turning into a sort-of upstanding citizen. He shaves his trademark cornrows, cause he had to get his "grown man on." Jose Reyes had a special handshake with him and called him "Lasto." From the year prior, when we saw him going through the rigors of rookie initiation and felt scared that the prospect who had grown on Mets fans wouldn't make it, he comes back this year with a vengeance.

For a future-five-tool and impact player, he did serviceably well. In 184 ABs, he had a .272 average with 7 HRs and 29 RBIs. Pretty decent. Pretty sure we'd have no choice but to see him as our almost-everyday RFer next season.

Well, there goes that theory. And I quote:

"Convinced that they didn't undermine their chance to deal for a front-of-the-rotation pitcher when they traded Lastings Milledge on Friday, the Mets addressed two lesser but critical needs when they acquired catcher Brian Schneider and left-handed-hitting outfielder Ryan Church from the National."

What the fuck is that about???????????

OK we have a critical need at catcher? Ummmmm, no. Didn't we not trade for decent catcher Johnny Estrada last week, and I mean, if we want to wax intellectual, did we not WEAKEN the bullpen by doing so?

Now, here's what kills me. Ryan Church is listed as a LFer and CFer on his stats site on Yahoo!. Hmm, yes, too bad we aren't locked up in CF for like the next 900 years with Beltran and other OFers in the ranks, since they seem to grow on trees. But OK, so LF is ALSO taken care of by the exercise of Moises Alou's option. Unless we are expecting Alou to go down for the long stretch again (and let's not kid ourselves, that is exactly what we are doing), then OK Church fills that serviceable need.

But too bad Omar fucked it all up by getting a fucking bigot (because you know, there aren't enough rednecks in baseball) -- not exactly a bright thing in New York, my friend.

But here's the beauty part (note: sarcasm)....THIS DOES NOT FILL ANY SERVICEABLE NEED FOR THE METS AT THIS TIME!!!!!!!

Unbelievable.

Now, we have to convince ourselves (or rather, the Mets FO has to convince themselves) that they could not get anything more for Stings.

What a bunch of fucking bullshit. That has to be the most absurd thing I have ever heard in my life.

You mean to tell me -- and I mean, I am not GM, so take this with a grain of salt -- that by weakening the bullpen by taking Mota out (and I use the term "weaken" lightly, so get off my back, you all know I hated him, but we did lose an arm...so there)...not to mention, I keep hearing the same grumblings from Mets fans all over that not having Glavine's 200+ innings are going to bite us in the ass...

We trade our flashiest and sexiest name (besides of course, Wright, Reyes and Beltran) for literally bags of balls and washed up scrubs who topped out years ago (if they did at all)???

You mean to tell me, you couldn't get anything more for Stings? Is his name THAT tarnished throughout MLB?

You have to fucking kidding me. You can't tell me we couldn't have gotten at least two scrubs for the bullpen for Stings.

I can tell you right now...when Omar traded Jae Seo for Duaner Dirty Sanchez, I thought...what is he doing? My thought was...we can't lose pitching arms for a freaking middle reliever. Of course, I ate my words all season and love Dirty. And where's Seo now?

Then when he traded Kris Benson for two guys we never heard of...one of those became our ace this year...the other turned into our warrior. Of course, I thought Omar was out of his gourd.

Then came the benny of the doubt for Omar. Trading fan favorite Mike Cameron for Xavier Nady...who turned into our other ace.

Omar did have a track record for turning goat piss into gasoline, I'll tell you that.

And the one thing I have always given Omar credit for was, hey...he wasn't the guy who traded Kazmir for Zambrano.

But let's go back to the Kris Benson trade. Shit, let's go back to the Kazmir trade. Let's even go back to when the Mets traded Kevin Mitchell in the 1986 going into 1987 offseason. And let's look at today's debacle with trading Lastings Milledge.

What is the common denominator with these moves?

The money men remain the same.

We all know one thing about our Freddo. HE HATES GUYS WHO QUESTION AUTHORITY. He hates guys who bring negative attention to themselves.

He hates non-yes men. He hates those who perceive to be a threat to the "family friendly" vibe of Mets baseball.

Meanwhile, you would think Fred to be such a prude, that he has never sat in the stands with his core fan base...that he never sat in the bleachers at Ebbets Field. Where I am certain that the talk was less than G-rated.

Now, I would have a ton more respect for Jim Duquette and for Omar Minaya if they stood up to Fred and were like -- let me do my job and if you want to deal with the fallout of dealing these prospects, be my guest. Fuckin fire me if you don't agree. But I run my team the way I want. I'd be like - right on, man! Fred's nothing but a pussy anyway. He'd back down, I'm sure.

Now of course, the most recent moves (Benson, Kazmir) have all turned out to be 20 / 20 hindsight positive moves.

Trading Stings to not only a contender we face almost 20 times per year...for two never have and never will-bes...this could be the disaster of unmitigated proportions.

Omar, I want to have your back. I really do. I even thanked you when I met you for doing such a great job with my team, hell, I even told you we had a lot in common! And unless you know something about someone having a hard-on (besides you, of course) for either Church or Schneider, then hats off if you can actually do something good for the team.

But in this Mets' fans view, you have significantly weakened the team. And Bart Giamatti-help you if Willie goes down for this mess you have created and not try to make better. I will turn my pro-Omar camp into a pro-Willie camp tomorrow if that's the case (and you all know how much I hate Willie).

I'm done -- visit some other great perspectives that have made me chuckle and alternatively quiver in fear at:

Brooklyn Met Fan (Damn you, Omar!)

Go Mets, Die Braves (not for the feint of heart)

Blastings Thrilledge (btw, this is truly a funny blog and I hope a name change does not occur)

You Can't Script Baseball's "we trusted you!" monologue (Ms. SNK refuses to come up to the 59th Street Bridge...YET...but will wait to see what Omar does next)

And our buddies at Metsmerized several unique takes on the situation.

From the organization that has given you Seaver to the Reds for a bunch of spare parts that don't amount to much, Kazmir for Zambrano, Bannister for Burgos, I give you...

Lastings Milledge for Ryan Church and Bryan Schneider.

Whatever. I'm fried. It's never easy being a Mets fan.

10 comments:

Ken Dynamo said...

coop - this is bad - lets ee what else happens during the hot stove but either way, not cool.

i keep waiting for a reason to look positive. not hearing it yet.

Bieds said...

I've BEEN saying Omar needs to be fired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp3022MdJFY

Climb aboard the bandwagon!

GaryG said...

Coop,
A sad day for Mets Fans. Not only for losing a special talent (Damn, I loved those high 5's with the fans after the HR), but we learn our GM is just one in a series of stooges for our owners.

Damn, its gonna be hard to root for a 3rd place team -- which is what we'll be unless we get a pitcher coming down from heaven.

Sassdawg. said...

For some odd reason, I do not object to this deal. There is still talent available to deal for Bedard, (a deal which I love), and Schneider's defense is a positive, (better than Lo Duca and Estrada). Church is more than servicible....Omar isn't done yet. I have always kinda been non committal to Stings. Let's let the two new acquisitions swing at a couple of pitches before we say that this was the worst trade ever.

GaryG said...

Sassdawg, do you really think the Orioles are stupid enough to trade us Erik Bedard? After getting burned with Benson for Julio/Maine, I don't think they'll have anything to do with Omar.

George said...

Schneider would have been a great acquisition--5 years ago. Church is a 4th outfielder.

If Milledge's stock had fallen that low, the Mets needed to let him play and get some value back before trading him.

And now the damn Yankees will get Santana....

The Coop said...

Actually G, in all fairness, Jim Duquette was the one who pulled the trigger for Benson and he is not in charge in B-more anymore. I'm flipping out, that's for sure, I feel like George does here, that is Stings value has plummeted that much, we shoulda just kept him...after all, remember in 2003, when we got rid of Burnitz, Alomar AND Payton? We managed to get back Victor Diaz in one of those trades too (don't remember which one, but he was pretty decent although he was a loafer...then again, most of the Mets ARE loafers this year)...I'm not ready to jump off the bridge yet, but you know what...if these moves were made solely to make OTHER moves, well you know what...they better happen. B/c right now, as you say G, this is a 3rd place team.

captainoblivion said...

Problem is, the better Millz becomes, the longer Omar stays, because his primary function will be to take the heat for Freddo's idiocy.

captainoblivion said...

Also, it's totally unfair (and bigoted in it's own right) to call Church a bigot for his religious views. That thinking would, for one thing, ban all Muslims (ask them where they think Jews are going) from MLB, for one thing. I don't agree with Church's theology, but he believes what he believes, and there is no indication that he bears any animus towards Jews.

It's Fred Wilpon who's the bigot here for trading Millz for dirty rap lyrics.

Coop said...

Well said, Capt O. I was pretty pissed about the whole thing, in case you couldn't tell, LOL. But Ryan church isn't a bigot. He's just dumb. Ignorant, maybe. But not a bigot. I was making a point that someone who could say something so ignorant is really going to attract attention to himself. that is all. Thanks for visiting! You have a blog I can link to? :)