Saturday, September 29, 2007

If You Remember, You Really Weren't There

There's a common theme with Mets games that The Coop tends to want to forget.

Like when LimaTime! gave up a granny to Dontrelle Willis.

Or when Coop and Metsgrrl travelled to Milwaukee and found out Brian Lawrence was pitching.

Or the first night Coop had the Oliver Perez Experience. Well, before he became "Oh Pea."

This common theme: alcohol. And lots of it, man.

Tonight, was going to be a benny of the doubt night. I was going to have a two-beer minimum and play it by ear.

I think the count was five, which was a lot. I'm feeling numb now, which is exactly how I want to feel. Especially after this.

All I can say is - need help for playoffs? Shit, I just want to finish the season with a bang, not with a whimper.

Please bear with me. I am experiencing such an incredible sadness, I cannot even begin to fathom.

The Coop has had a lot of heartache in 2007. You were privy to it here. But besides that, there was tragedy, death, drama...stuff that wasn't sharable on a blog. Nor should it be now.

But times like this and this made my life bearable.

But I...I can't...I just...I don't know.

I can't believe that my summer -- just like that -- can end so quickly. So painfully. So swift. Poof. It's gone.

Just this week I had my air conditioner on. Now the windows are open, and I'm cold. It felt like playoff weather. We should be enjoying that. Now, I'll probably enjoy the trip to California I kept blowing off because I didn't want to miss anything in October.

And I know it's still "early." We don't know what Saturday and Sunday will actually bring.

But if today is indication, then Bart Giamatti hit the nail on the head a long time ago. This game is designed to break your heart. I don't care what other "sports" you watch or are invested in. There is nothing like baseball. NOTHING.

I signed on when I was 7. I'm not leaving now. Sink or swim, I'm here till the last pitch.

But when it's over...when it's over. It's the loneliness. The loneliness that kills me.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Believe babe. It's not over til it's over!

MG said...

hang in there, honey.