Saturday, August 04, 2007

Come On...Baby Don't Ya Wanna Go...Back to that Same Ol' Place

Sweet Home...Chicago!
I made it yesterday to the Mecca of all ballparks...Wrigley Field. Just an overall joyful and relaxing and overwhelmingly FUN baseball experience.

Of course as we are walking up -- I give Mr. E (who by the way, is verrrrrrry jealous The Coop went without him) a call and say - "1060 West Addison...That's Wrigley Field!!!" Blues Brothers references NEVER get old with Mr. E and The Coop. (and it's humor was not lost on Metsgrrl either when we were trying to find our car rental place...when I did, I said, "Bob's Country Bunker...here we are!" After about 20 straight hours, it was hysterically funny...)

OK enough Blues Bros talk, back to Wrigley.

So right outside of the stadium, you see that McDonald's - yes, that McDonald's. I had to promise MG I would not go "there" with the McNuggets song or whatever. But there are also bar upon bar upon bar with Cubs fans around...not to mention tons of souvenir stands. To the right of this photo (besides MG paying an homage to our boy, now Cubs boy Cliff Floyd) are these stands that sell shirts with the sayings of your choice: "Cardinals Suck," "Yankees Suck," "Sox Suck" (I am believing it's the white variety).

We didn't spend too much time on the streets - we had other thangs to do. Like this! Checking out what the inside of Wrigley looked like!

I purposely took a picture of the Harry Caray banner. For those living under a rock, Harry Caray is the revered color man of Cubs baseball. The irony is this - two of the "sucks" teams not named Yankees I mentioned earlier...Yeah, Caray was the announcer for both of those teams too (just don't remind Cubs fans of that). But Caray did make Wrigley what it is today, as far as the party atmosphere and the 7th inning stretch tradition.

Here are pics of his "booth" and the Harry Caray restaurant across the way from Wrigley:















Other notable items - like the scoreboard - I like how all the other games are "NITE GAMES" - the scoreboard operators must LOVE days like that!!!
And looking at some other distinctly unique Wrigley items, like the homes you see on TV with the stands on top of them - but this one house in particular with the Budweiser logo on it - I wonder if it was Dale Earnhardt Jr's home. SNICKER. I keed I keed!And here's the "Hey Hey!" Home Run pole...with other rooftop bleachers next to it - it's just strange! We got to see the warm ups and stretching by our boys...And of course, what My Summer Family road trip would be complete without the obligatory Oh Pea pic...where he's doing a yoga stretch!!!!! BONUS!!!
Plenty of Mets fans around us...
Oh and did I mention that Eddie Vedder threw out the first pitch...
...AND sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch????? I have no pics of that, our seats were not six rows behind home plate this time unfortunately...but this was our view, which was nonetheless a GOOD view...
But next time around...I think I wanna sit here:Fast forward a couple of innings and couple of beers later...Coop and Metsgrrl are not only happy campers...
...But our boys are Takin' Care of Business once again!!
After the game, we paid our respects to the Harry Caray Monument (along with some other Mets fans)...
And feel bad for some guy who turned 21 on the day the Mets annihilated their closer!!!

All in all, the first annual Snarky Bitches Road Trip (the name I gave us -- since for some reason in Chicago, everyone thinks New Yorkers are thieves -- gypsies and tramps not so much -- but also snarky), and I just want to go on the record and say this was seriously the most fun I've ever crammed into 36 hours in my life time. I'm not even joking. Thanks to MG, the Mets and to the great cities of Chicago and Milwaukee for doing their part!!
Now it's on to see these guys tomorrow! And to think I actually have to go back to work soon!!!

12 comments:

Mike said...

Cool stuff, Coop. Looks like you guys got great weather too.

BTW, that pic makes it look like Vedder can actually throw. Is this correct?

Coop said...

He was very formidable. He's apparently a big big Cubs fan, something I was not aware of. Check out the other pics from Milwaukee too mike!!

BookieD said...

Great, great stuff! Wrigley and its surrounding bars provide an awesome game experience. Looks like you guys had a sick time, and the team cooperated with a win. Hopefully, we play the Cubbies in Chicago on a weekend again next year, and I can make it out. We may not have to wait that long, if the postseason lines up right.

Yeah, Vedder's mechanics actually look pretty good in that shot. They showed a little bit of Take Me Out to the Ballgmae on SNY. I was very jealous.

The Penis Mightier said...

So I had to check out your post. Just so you know, Eddie's been stopping by Wrigley for at least 10 years and singing during the seventh. I've seen those guys 11 times and am EXTREMELY jealous that you got to see the small venue show.

I went out to Wrigley 2 years ago to catch a Mets game and that was a great experience as well. Piazza CRUSHED a three run bomb during that game.

So what's the aversion to the Foo? They are an amazing live band and they write some good stuff.

The Coop said...

PM, I feel like I've made it! Welcome to MSF! My aversion to Foo is Dave Grohl's whiny voice. I don't think they are talented at all. Just one gal's opinion. :-)

BookieD said...

How small was the venue? Ten years ago, I would have been out of my mind with jealousy (I drove 8 hours to see PJ play in New Orleans in 1995). Now, I just think it's pretty cool that you saw them, but am more jealous of your trip to Wrigley and all the related highjinx. I read that MG saw Eddie Vedder in the stands, which is also pretty cool.

Speaking of 90's grung acts doing the Stretch, I'll never forget the sight of Billy Corgan imploring a dejected crowd to sing along to TMOTTBG during Game 7 of the 2003 NLCS with the Cubs trailing 9-5. It was the saddest NCLS site I had ever seen...until Called Strike Three in Game 7 last year.

I agree with PM on the Foo Fighters. They kick a$$.

the penis mightier said...

Oh come on Coop, I've been here tons of times. It's just a busy Monday at work and BMF is higher on my blog list because it starts with a b and MSF starts with an M. I actually haven't even gotten to the Daily News yet.

Bookied, I dunno if you've ever seen Smashing Pumpkins, but they are the worst live band possible. The Chili Peppers give them a run for the money, but SP leads the list. I'm sure the crowd was bummed, but I'm also sure that Corgan had something to do with it too.

The Coop said...

Agreed on SP, there PM. I saw them back in 94 at a Lolla here in NY -- Billy Corgan just basically told us to all to flip off. Nice. He even heard some guy who was apparently very loud in his admiration of SP that his "heroes don't wear baseball caps." Thanks Billy. Real class act.

I think I remember when Billy Corgan sang the 7th inning stretch...Poor guy. Singing to those fans was kind of like telling a kid they aren't going to Disney World for Christmas after all.

I can't stand the Foo Fighters. I just think they are the worst band ever. Them and Bon Jovi.

Books, the venue held about 1400 people. Up close and personal with one of the biggest bands in the world.

The Coop said...

Oh and Bookie, apparently, I walked right past Eddie - nary a thought that he would actually be standing like right next to me. MG kinda stood there, flabbergasted. I was like, honey, what's going on? She was like - I just met Eddie. Huh??? I treated him like his name was Stanley.

the penis mightier said...

Well, I can't argue with you about Bon Jovi....

BookieD said...

1,400 is great. I wish all concerts were limited to 1,500 people (provided I have tickets, of course).

Agreed 100% on Bon Jovi. They (and Jon, especially) suck the big one.

I agree that the SP are (were?) horrible live. The Pumpkins were a studio band, through and through (I recall my brother quoting someone that Siamese Dream was "the most overproduced album ever recorded"). But Coop is right--the Cubs were up 5-3 in that game and then watched the walls come crumbling down around them. You have to be the eternal optimist to be cheerful after that.

Toasty Joe said...

Regarding that sign in the garbage can in your last picture, check this out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toastyjoe/1045708187/in/set-72157601290949022/