Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into, Ollie

I can just hear Mike and Ed right now – what’d we say, Coop? Ollie’s proving *us* right now, Coop. One good game, followed by one blah game.

Well, yeah, anyone with eyes can see he had a blah game, and yes – dare I say, reminiscent of a certain pitcher we got from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays on July 31m 2004, who shall remain nameless here.

But it’s weird to me. For one, I didn’t really see any flashes of brilliance like I did in the first game I watched Ollie on August 26, 2006. Lots of really, really bad pitches. He just seemed off, to put it mildly. Then again, John Maine did on Monday too. I mean, not nearly as skittish, but still – our two best young pitchers both have off-days? At home? I guess as long as it doesn’t last long, it’s cool. But of course, I just have this pit in my stomach...Oh, Pea. I still love ya.

But then it’s not so cool. I mean, I guess one thing I can glean from this massacre was that well, at least they weren’t *hitting* him. And Aaron Sele didn’t look too bad. Although I got bored and ordered Indian food in the middle of his set, so I didn’t watch a lot of it.

On the offensive side, Jose Reyes got on base a lot but also got caught stealing. What a drag.
But this was a very winnable game. But I can’t get too jizzed about not winning.

All in all, just an ugly ugly night for a Mets fan.

As Eddie Murphy once said – baby, please, change the subject!
***********************************************************
So, the other “big story” of the night was of a Japanese nature:
Felix Hernandez throws a one-hitter and Dice-K loses his first game of the season. Yup, you read that right – I didn’t get that backwards or anything.
***********************************************************
Interesting piece on ESPN on the old Ebbets Field site:You know, I remember reading when I was a kid that Ebbets Field was turned into apartment towers, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. And I often imagined what life would be like, baseball-wise, if the Dodgers had stayed in Brooklyn. Granted, they might not have stayed at Ebbets, but it’s an interesting thought. From the sounds of it, it’s worse than the Bronx.
***********************************************************
Jose Reyes – the new big threat? I’ll drink to that!
***********************************************************
I’ll be at the games Thursday, Friday and Saturday if anyone wants to join me! I’ll be sitting in Mezzanine, Section 14., Box 572C.

17 comments:

Mike said...

Nah, Coop. I won't say anything about Ollie. Everyone's entitled to bad games.

As for Jose, even with the caught stealing, he's unreal. Reached base three times in four trips tonight.

Man, he's good. Now if only his teammates stop stranding him at third.

MG said...

that wasn't OP. it was jose lima wearing an oliver perez suit.

i ordered chinese over here.

George said...

If OP has become Jose Lima, at least he gets a really hot wife.

Doesn't do much for us Mets fan, though.

Shari said...

Hi Coop- I still would rather wtch Perez pitch than sit through a 4 hour Trachsel start.

Don't give up on him so fast-it's only his second start of the season, he proved himself in the playoffs and all through spring training. I stil lsee potaential greatness here.

Remember a guy named Nolan Ryan? He was very wild and erratic as a young pitcher-even Jerry Koosman said last night when Gary Cohen asked him if he ever thought Ryan would become a Hall of Famer-Kossman answered wuite honestly no he didn't. He knew he threw hard, but he never thought he'd turn out to be the pitcher he was.

Ed in Westchester said...

Coop - Field Box 85D for me tonight. Just past first base.
Let's hope the rain stops.

Don't worry about Ollie.

Coop said...

I love you guys! I'm not worried about him. I just want him to get out of his head!

Ed, good luck tonight. I don't think there will be a game, unfortunately.

Toasty Joe said...

Ed, is the that box I think it is? Nice seats.

BookieD said...

With Ollie, you've gotta take the good with the bad. Hopefully, Dr. Rick will do his best to minimize the Bad.

For what it's worth, I just called 718-507-RAIN, and the game is still scheduled (as of 1:55 p.m.). Nevertheless, I think I'll catch this one on SNY.

I'll be Showing Up for my innaugural visit on Saturday, sitting in the Pepsi Picnic Area with Toasty, a few members of the TJ community and friends. A 33rd birthday (and Mets Victory) celebration will follow at an East Side Manhattan locale, TBD (yes, I thought of Blondies, but I think I Blondies'd my wife to death during the Final Four--we were the ones chanting "Just Like Last Year" at the UCLA fans at the East Side locale--and I expect the place to be packed with supporters of the Islanders and Sabres, anyway).

Toasty Joe said...

The rain appears to be tapering off, so perhaps they'll get this one in. Bookie, might I recommend Back Page, Bro Jimmy's, or possibly Mo's Carribean for Saturday night? That's right, people, we're a pack of 33-year-old who like to pretend we're still 23.

BookieD said...

Called again, and the game is still on as of 4:49 p.m. Two 40+ year old pitchers on a wet, 40 degree night. Hardball is Back!!

Toasty--I was actually thinking more about places in the East 50's, so the 8+ months' pregnant Mrs. Bookie can be close to home, should she decide she's had enough of our wholesome brand of good, clean fun. Yes, she is a trooper, that one.

Coop said...

Congrats on the little Bookie (Bookie Jr? Bookette?) -- Toasty, you didn't strike me as the kind of guy who desperately attempted to cling to his youth. I probably would have made fun of you right to your face if I thought that!!!

Toasty Joe said...

Hmmm, East 50's, eh? Sutton Place, perhaps? That's the bar where I (i) watched Larry Johnson's 4-point play against the Pacers; and (ii) met Jason Isringhausen. Interestingly, both happened on the exact same night. No fooling.

BookieD said...

Thanks, Coop. It's a Bookette (or, at least that's what the doctor told us), and she will be attending her first Mets game from the womb this Saturday. I've read that playing music from the Shea DJ to your unborn child will enhance its pre-natal development. I hope the fans picked some winners for David Wright.

My guess is tht most of the people around here are desperately trying to cling to their youth. Where's the fun in growing old with dignity? For that matter, what's fun about dignity at all?

Speaking of clinging to your youth, it's time to cheer on Tom Glavine against Jamie Moyer! Our 41-year-old, is better than your 41-year-old!

Coop said...

yeah screw dignity!

Speaking of dignity, I have opted for a night of pizza with the old man and a pedicure from the ladies down the street. Screw going to queens! That'll be tomorrow.

And remember -- if you need a good girls name, I suggest COOP! It's worked for me all my life! :D

Toasty Joe said...

Yes, you should name her Coopy Cooperson.

BookieD said...

Actually, we're probably going with "Lastings."

Sassdawg. said...

Bookie First and Last???

Ok so the 300 wins countdown is at 292. Any one care to make a projection as to when Tommy Gunz Glavine is going to make number 300???

The Dawg.