Wednesday, April 25, 2007

U-G-L-Y, Hey, You Aint Got No Alibi, You Ugly!

Wow, what else can I say about today's massacre that hasn't been. Pitiful, and that's being kind.

I didn't see the game at all, but I wasn't missing much anyway. First, Mr. Coop was at the game and he called me after the first inning and told me that Pelf needed some "Pelf Help." I said - it's only one run, you are such an alarmist.

Well, after about the sixth call before the fourth inning, I had to say I was right there with him. It may be early, it may not be May yet, but Pelf to me is clearly overmatched in the bigs. You know, I almost started to believe his hype -- that he's the next Verlander or whatever. When I saw him in his first game last year, I saw some good potential but nothing too exciting. And I thought -- you know, with the Rockies, he'll be able to showcase his talent.

Then Aaron "White Flag" Sele comes in -- Oh, Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Where's Darren Oliver when you need him? Or Dave Williams, for that matter?

Well, the good news is -- I think that Williams is coming back in a few weeks, at least I heard that somewhere. The bad news is -- Pelf has got to go and work on more stuff.

In other news...Hey, I wrote a song about Carlos Delgado - wanna hear it? Here is goes!

#Where have you gone - Carlos Del-ga-a-do, a fan-base turns its lonely eyes to you. Boo hoo hoo. #

I thought his problems were over when he hit his HR the other night. Seems to me he is lukewarm. I won't jump off a cliff yet, but he is dragging the team down.

Speaking of a downer, don't get me started on David Wright either.

I think Willie needs to bench these guys. Toughen 'em up or something. I don't think it would be detrimental or hurt their feelings. I think these guys know they are dragging the team down. You know it's bad when Jose Valentin and Shawn Green are carrying the team.

I know, it's still early in the year, but the Mets are showing inconsistencies so early on, I have a feeling we'll be the Yankees of the NL -- winning games, sure, but losing lots of games like 10-8. With the division as tight as its shaping out to be, we need to be able to wipe the floor with the poor teams (Rockies, Nats) and hold our own against the better teams. All things considered, that has really only been the Braves thus far in this short season. If you count the World Champs, OK, but they have not been exactly hot either. Lukewarm, maybe, definitely not hot.

Now let's get to the Phillies. They've won, what five in a row now? They're going to be the sleeping giant. Mark my words.

This weekend will be a litmus test. The Mets have to sweep the Nats. No ifs ands or buts about it.

At the risk of sounding alarmist like Mr. Coop, I can't help but feel like this season is going to be a tough one. I am excited about that prospect, but it's disheartening when you see the potential future of the franchise get murdered on the field. Let's teach this kid some control before he kills someone!

8 comments:

mr. met said...

Was that someone actually begging for Dave Williams?

Disappointing he couldn't even go three innings. Your long man doesn't have to be pretty, but he does need to give 3 or 4 innings.

Itsmetsforme said...

I saw some of this game unfortunately. You missed some classic Tom Seaver on the broadcast. I wouldn't wish having to watch Aaron "Tag" Sele on anyone.

Looks like "Pelf Help" is coming in handy. Good for our entertainment, but bad for the mets. I say let's see if THIS Sosa can testify!! (get it?)
...

"In other news...Hey, I wrote asong about Carlos Delgado - wanna hear it? Here is goes!"

Nice Living colour reference, right?

Now I got a song reference for YOU to guess. Wannahearithereitgoes?!

"I don't believe in magic,
I don't believe in I-ching,
I don't believe in bible,
I don't believe in tarot,
I don't believe in Hitler,
I don't believe in Jesus,
I don't believe in Kennedy,
I don't believe in Buddha,
I don't believe in mantra,
I don't believe in Gita,
I don't believe in yoga,
I don't believe in kings,
I don't believe in Elvis,
I don't believe in Zimmerman,
I don't believe in Phillies,
I just believe in Me(ts)
(and sometimes Br*ves)"

Guess!

Itsmetsforme said...

p.s.
I, er, Jose tried to comment on your Jose directed post--your least popular post ever :(--
but blogger ate my comment.

Coop said...

Itsmetsforme - it's God by John Lennon. Or "Carlos" by Itsmetsforme. Hee hee

Sassdawg. said...

Rock and Roll Delgado, Rock and Roll Delgado, Rock over london, Rock on Chicago,

Ed in Westchester said...

coop, Oliver has been getting lit up so far this year.
Sele had a bad outing, it happens. He has done well in other spots. I'm not overly concerned. Oliver had a couple of these games last year as well.

Pelfrey will be OK. Patience is needed. Lister at the geek made the point yesterday that the Braves bring up young guys, and stick with them, even through tough times. Seems to have worked OK for them. Maybe we should give it a shot.

I have concerns about Williams being able to come back and be effective. Disc surgery is not fun. I am keeping my fingers crossed though, because he would be a nice addition.

BookieD said...

We can't panic over one shellacking by a bad team. Bottom line is the Mets are 11-3 vs. every team they've played that's not the Braves. The whole point of this Technological Terror lineup we've constructed is that we don't have to rely on one or two stars to carry the day each night. When you've got Alou, Green and Valentin batting 6-7-8 you are able to weather any slump by your superstars. And weather we shall.

I know we have to be patient with Pelfrey. It's just so damn hard when you see everyone else's top prospects come up and become instant studs (Hamels, Cain, Verlander)! Based on the "everyone but ours" theory, I'm fully expecting Hughes to be lights-out tonight! Waaaaahhhhhh! Wahhhhhh! Sniffle, Sniffle. Okay tantrum over.

mr. met said...

Bookied. I think the real issue is not worry about what other guys do and worry about what Pelfrey does. The thing that separates him is that his secondary stuff is not even close to everyone else's.

He needs to be treated differently. We heard his stuff was improved, but it doesn't seem like they are helping him out much.

I liken the situation to Ryan Madson. I'm not saying Pelfrey cannot be a great starter in this league, but it bears noting that Madson had big time issues starting and had far and away better secondary stuff. I think he gets two more starts and without a significant improvement, he needs to work on things and I'm not 100% sure that doing that on the big league level makes sense.