Sunday, April 22, 2007

Redemption Song

Yes, yes, yes!

First - Mets beat the Rockies, 6-1 tonight. Most notable was the STELLAR pitching performance of John Maine. I am very impressed with how this kid has come around in the past year. He has great command, and even when he gets into trouble with those pesky walks sometimes, he is mature enough to get himself out of jams. Rarely do I see this kid sweat. Dude has his poker face on all the time.

The other story was YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH - Jose Valentin. Ole! The ladies man himself got 4 ribbies and a free appetizer at the GR tonight.

Carlos Delgado looks to be coming around as he hit a HR tonight. I am not too concerned with his hitting less than his weight right now, but I truly believe he'll be on his way.

David Wright on the other hand -- OUCH. He's still painful to watch and it looks like he's throwing temper tantrums. Hey, I'm all for sabor out there, but no one has ever hit better by throwing his helmet around like a baby. Just ask Billy Doran from the 80s Astros.

Tonight was an interesting mix of people at the game. Not many people came out tonight -- well, except for the "creepy guy with weed" who Mr. Coop and I met on the LIRR on Saturday. That nickname is courtesy of the little Britneys on the train.

But you know what -- and I know Metsgrrl and SassDawg will probably have my ass right now. But "Sweet Caroline" in the 8th inning is starting to grow on me. I didn't get up to sing it, but plenty of other people did. Guys had their arms around each other, people were dancing in field level to it, "So good, so good, so good!" was yelled at the top of their lungs. I had to admit, I kinda liked it.

***************************************************

On a different note...

First of all, I freely admit that I am one of "those" fans. Yes -- One of "those" fans who happily roots for the Mets, and happily boos everything the Yankees do.

It may be counterproductive to hate as much as you love something, but it's just so easy to root against the Yankees. Metstradamus fully endorses hate, so he would be proud.

I think what is extremely telling about this series is that the Yankee fans all have their proverbial teets in a tizzy. Wondering what went wrong? Hey people, relax. It's only friggin April. If you seriously thought Chase Wright was going to be the savior of your pitching woes, you got another thing coming, as Rob Halford once sang.

So not only do the Red Sox hit back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs, the sweep the Yankees for the first time in ages.

Then the Yankees lose to the Devil Rays tonight after fighting back numerous times.

Does this mean the changing of the guard in the AL East? Oh, hell no. I will never count the Yankees out unless its the last day of the season and all the playoff spots are filled.

But I think it's interesting because it's pretty safe to think that if they don't take the AL East, they don't make the playoffs. I doubt the WC will be in the AL East. Or, maybe it will. It seems like Baltimore's pitching is coming together, Blue Jays are putting together a formidable team and the Red Sox are a lot more competitive. That should be interesting to see how it pans out.

***************************************************
I'm exhausted so I might take tomorrow off. Please don't cry!!!

10 comments:

Mike said...

Nice finishing points on the Yanks.

Bwahahahahahahahahah!

Oh, and put one person in the "Not At All Surprised How Good Maine Has Been" Camp. I wish I was surprised, it'd probably be more fun.

But I'm not.

Sassdawg. said...

The Bigote came out big time last night.

MG said...

let everyone put their arms around each other to something else. "new york, new york," "rockaway beach," hell, even "black angel's death song."

not freaking sweet caroline.

i know the cyclones do it with an intro from neil. that's OKAY. they made it THEIRS by doing that.

sorry, it makes me crazy.

i'll be there tonight, and i'll be there early enough for bp. txt me if you go.

Toasty Joe said...

Don't worry, I will choose not to sue you for plagurism.

http://toastedjoe.blogspot.com/2006/07/redemption-song.html

Rickey Henderson said...

The whole Sweet Caroline just feels cheap and unncessary. Kind of like how Rickey cringes everytime he hears a "Yankees Suck" chant at Shea...

Coop said...

LOL Toasty! Dude, you know how I told you that people quote Shakespeare, I quote Toasty Joe? I totally forgot you had that as a title! Sorry man. There's bound to be some overlap.

MG - I won't be at the game tonight. But stop by and say hi to my friend Andy who is going with his brother.

Coop said...

OK let me just defend my "I'm OK with Sweet Caroline" argument. Now I understand that most of us here associate SC with the Red Sox 8th inning and that's fine. Sweet Caroline is also used at other major sporting events -- for example, I remember years ago, they used to have like a karaoke contest at the Swamp during Nets games, where someone would come out and have to sing Sweet Caroline. If you butchered it, they booed you. You won a prize if you got the crowd to sing with you.

Believe me, I'd rather have something else that we could call our own. I didn't say I 100% support Sweet Caroline, just that I didn't mind it. That is all.

Sassdawg. said...

Ok so I'm bumming this idea off of another blog but I think that it's completely brilliant. Lets vote for the Royals as the American League All Stars. If there is anything that I learned from watching Sanjaya do so well on American Idol, it's that any balot box can be stuffed. Let's go Royals!!!!!

mr. met said...

Duque just doubled!!!!

The Yankee nation is getting restless. They are not comfy with what is going on. Even they are doubting the most successful sports franchise of all time.

Sassdawg. said...

Ok, so Endy my neighbors hate me because of you. I think I woke up my neighbors baby and our dog. What a freaking game.