Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Happy RECoop! 2007 Season Week Three

Blah blah blah whatever.

I was on such a high from Oh Pea's great game yesterday, I was SO SURE the Mets would ride that momentum into today's game. Alas, it was not meant to be.

I wasn't around to see the massacre that was Scott "Just Forfeit" Schoeneweis and Aaron Heilman giving up another home run.

I can't get too bent about these guys -- after all, I'd rather they lose their shit now as opposed to say, a month in the fall when it's getting colder out.

After "sweeping" the Phillies (one game series, after the first game was rained out) and sweeping the Marlins (for real), it looked as though the Mets were the proverbial team to beat.

For us fans though, I'm not sure what's worse or better or what -- if we lose to the Phillies, it's like - we lost to a subpar team. We lose to the Braves - well, OK, they're pretty decent, we should lose SOME games to them.

But do we *really* have to lose a game that theoretically should have been in the bag? And not to mention to our biggest rivals? I mean, if there is a team to beat, it's them.

The funny thing is, prior to this game today, I thought about how last year in April, the Mets were in first from practically day one and never looked back. Like most Mets fans, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Lo and behold, it didn't -- well, not till a Thursday night in October anyway.

I can wax intellectual over this stuff, but it's late and I don't feel like it right now. The Yankees / Red Sox game is still going on, so I can at least think that I can redeem myself.

Good things from this week:
1.) Jose Reyes. As I mentioned before, I think Mike is gonna have to fight me on this one.
....

What, you were expecting me to say something else??????

2.) Oh Fuckin Pea. Did anyone catch this article? How can you not love him?

3.) Carlos Beltran. He's not just hitting the straight ball very much anymore.

4.) Carlos Delgado. Glad to see someone woke him up from his winter slumber.

5.) The Bullpen.

6.) The starting pitching. John Maine for example. Zoinks!

Last season, I think the Mets sent a message about their BP -- our starting pitching will get us through the first innings, then get through our bullet proof bullpen. It seems like both are pretty impenetrable.

Some things to worry / think about:

1.) David Wright. I know the "streak" is over, but this was weird to me. Has anyone ever seen a guy in a streak have a simultaneous slump? Only in New York

2.) Shawn Green. Can someone tell him that when he muffs plays, he fucks everything up for the team?

3.) Idiot fans -- runner up for Toasty's fucktard award this week is this guy. No wonder the likes of Larry Jones and John Rocker hate us. Not that their opinion matters anyway.

Anyway like I said at top, I can't get too bent about this week. Going 4-2 in a week is not a bad thing.

Let's get to some of those non-division rivals, and see what we're really made of.

And let's wipe our butts with the Rockies this week, and call it a day.

2 comments:

Mike said...

The Braves have managed to take 4 of 6 from the Mets, but the Mets are doing better against everyone else.

I think it'll work out.

But I'm officially worried about Wright & Heilman at this point. Wright's not just slumping: (a) he doesn't look right, somehow, and (b) he's been slumping since last July. I don't know what to say.

I'm not worried about Schoeneweis; I knew he'd be a bum. He's doing exactly what I expected.

mr. met said...

I do not condone what that fan did with his uber flashlight, but how can you not be amused he was attempting to torment Braves players? A for effort.

I’m not going to get on Green for his error. They happen it will not be a common occurrence, but Willie dropped the ball there with mysterious moves. Why removed Burgos for Scott while he actually has handled lefties better and if you wanted to go for the true lefty lefty match-up, why not go with Feliciano? He made the wrong move…flat out and it was blatant.