Thursday, April 26, 2007

Cawfee Tawk With Your Host Coop

I’ve decided to make “Cawfee Tawk” part of the MSF segments on Mets off-days. This will be an event to cause you to think and express your feelings on the state of the Mets. This can be a free-for-all rant or just some random tidbits I think are juicy enough to dissect.

So grab a cup, stir it with your pencil and think about the state of the Mets.

Ready to hear it? Here it goes...

OK first on my list is Mike Pelfrey. I've been talked down from the bridge on this guy but I'm hanging out by it, just in case. But I gotta tell ya - I've been stoked since day one to see what this guy is really made of. On paper, though, I always was led to believe that out of the two, Humber was the better one, just more injury-prone. And I believed the hype regarding the next Verlander and shit.

But is he?

To be honest guys, and I know I'll get flogged for it, but I think Pelf is *gasp* ordinary. I saw that in his very first game against the Marlins last year, and I see it now. In order to be dominant, he's got to work out those kinks. And given with how tight the division is shaping out to be, methinks that kink working should not happen against ML teams.

But who can replace him? My understanding is that Dave Williams is coming back from surgery in a few weeks. But can he be as reliable as last year?

Humber? I think he needs more polishing than Pelf, to be honest.

Chan "I Wanna Be a" Ho Park? Wait, didn't I read about him getting shelled in AAA last week? Nice.

Anyone else I believe is way too young or WAY too overmatched for the bigs.

If I were Omar, I'd have had the dude packing his bags. Luckily for the Mets and for Pelf, though, I am not. But what would you do if you were Omar in this situation? DISCUSS!

******************************************************
Next on my shit list is Carlos "Rock n Roll" Delgado (thanks Sass).

Is it a slump? Or is he just old and tired?

Willie seems to think he'll snap out of it sooner or later. He's hitting the ball, he's making contact but he's barely hitting his weight.

Would you sit Delgado one game this weekend? Or just let him work it out?

DISCUSS!

******************************************************
David "Don't Believe the Hype" Wright. I said at the beginning of the season that he would be one of the three keys to a successful season (which has changed, so be on the lookout for a Coop's Crystal Ball Redux soon).

I stand by that claim for him and full believe it. But I think my worst fears are confirmed -- he does believe his own hype as evidenced in the linked article.

One key quote is here:
"But as the endorsements and the appearances and the accolades kept flowing in, the home runs and RBI have started to trickle. Wright's power stroke vanished after last season's All-Star break. His lousy showing in the NLCS ranked at or near the top of the list of reasons the Mets missed out on the World Series. And in the first 18 games of this season, he has four RBI and no home runs. All of which makes you wonder -- has it become a little too cool to be David Wright? All of the endorsements, the magazine covers, the public appearances and praise ... is it all too much too soon?"

I believe it is. Will he snap out of it?

I think he should stop hitting the poonani and get his ass back in gear. Take some hitting lessons from HoJo and get back on track, baseball wise.

Toasty remarked the other night that his long fly ball out was an indication of things to come. Maybe I'm just too impatient, but he needs to produce.

******************************************************
Jose! Jose Jose Jose! Best lead-off hitter in baseball?

Sure I'll take it.

Best player in baseball?

I'll take that too.

******************************************************
Last, but certainly not least, Mets fans. I'm sorry, but did I hear BOOING after Billy Wagner gave up the run in the Rockies game on Tuesday night?

What about for Aaron Heilman one night last week?

David Wright?

Mets fans, with the exception of present company and other bloggers, are idiots. There's no reason to boo anyone on our team. Even if they are Robbie "I'm Coming Out" Alomar. OK, maybe then it's cool. But we don't have to worry about him. But we need to support our team.

I wouldn't have even booed Pelf on Wednesday if I were at the game. Even though I want him back in NOLA.

******************************************************
Hope you enjoyed your sumatra!! Be back this weekend. Later

7 comments:

mr. met said...

Jorge Sosa gets the first crack at it and surprise!!! He has a new arm angle.

Mike said...

Thanks Coop for saying it about Pelfrey: I don't get it. Nothing about him, statistically or performance-wise gets me too excited.

Meanwhile Humber (who's 25, by the way) is looking good in NOLA.

Phree Phil!

As to Reyes & the question of whether he's the best player in baseball, I'm ready to catch hell. You know there are no bigger Jose fans than me, and he's my favorite Met by far. But . . . since he's not even the clear number one shortstop in his own division, I'm not quite ready to annoint him the best player in baseball.

(And I'm not talking about Rollins or Renteria, though they're both very good too. Check out Hanley's numbers: except SBs and RBIs, they're BETTER than Jose, Jose, Jose's. Not nice, but true.)

BlondiesJake said...

Sorry for going off topic, but I’m putting out the call for all Mets fans to let WFAN what we think about Fatso and Fruit Loops clogging the airwaves with anti-Met commentary. Yes, we know they are yankee and Giant fans, but they shouldn’t be putting down the Mets, especially not when the team is quite good, especially when WFAN BROADCASTS THE METS GAMES.

This morning, as I was driving to Bakersfield, my flagship station for my hockey games, KGEO, was running those buffoons because they don’t have Imus anymore. Russo was asking Francesa what was Must Watch for the weekend, and when it came to the yanks/Sawx, he said DOUBLE MUST WATCH and when asked about the Mets, he said, DON’T WATCH AT ALL and then laughed heartily! It’s clearly not the first time nor the last time they put down the Mets.

I find it shocking they are allowed to rip the station’s product? I can’t imagine execs would agree, but if people don’t let them know, they won’t know and therefore won’t care. If we all speak out, let them know we will threaten their bottom line, something might get done.

Therefore, I call on all fans here, and please pass along on other blogs, to let WFAN know what we think about the anti-Met sentiment by those two geniuses. Tell them you won’t listen to them if it’s allowed to go on, and you will work on a boycott of their sponsors (hitting them where it hurts). Let the power of the people work for the Mets!!!

Here are the emails to send to…. I recommend sending to both, and putting “Stop the Anti-Met Spew by Francesa and Russo”

fanmail@wfan.com
wfanpromotions@wfan.com

LET’S GO METS!
GET HEALTHY ‘STINGS!
WFAN, HEED OUR CALL!

Coop said...

No such thing as off topic for Cawfee Tawk, BJake. Thanks for posting!

Sassdawg. said...

IMHO for Rock and Roll Delgado, 1/2 a day off for him would not hurt, (I know I'm going to get slandered for this but) let Old Man Franco get the start at first then put Los Delgado in around the 6th inning. Frankly, I'd advocate the same for Sugarpants and David Newhan. David looks like he could use a day off and Newhan could also probably use to get in a few at bats.

Sassdawg. said...

I think David Wright needs to shave his head again.

Sassdawg. said...

Ok, So Willie got run out of the game and he had legitimate beef. WTF, can we buy a call this season? We have been getting bullshit calls all year.