Monday, March 26, 2007

Clever Fans

What I love most about going to sporting events of any kind are the interesting mix of people who show up to said events. Like my first Nascar event...Nuff said. But something else -- you always see someone standing out of the crowd at these events and I thought it might be fun to share some of the nutty people we've met in our lives as a result of baseball in particular, but any sporting event.

I remember when I first met Cow "hyphen" Bell Man and Sign Guy. Now it turns out at any sporting event, I'm always looking for their equivalent. Save Home Boy Larry at Ranger hockey games (and I'm not even sure he does that anymore), I have no idea. I was bored out of my goard at a Tampa Bay Devil Rays game once, it's a mix of old farts and rednecks. Nice combo. If not the $4 buckets of beers, I would have been bored to DEATH. (Oh and on a side note, I went down there back in 2001 to see the Mets play and wore my hat. Some creature started talking shit to me about the Yankees and got all in my face. OK first of all - Yankees weren't playing. Second of all - I could give a crap. Third of all - I'd punch you, but you'd lose your tooth)

Anyway back to the fans - I remember a guy back in 1999 running around the stands in his good luck Mets jersey and his lucky Kermit D Frog puppet. I still have his pic somewhere, it always makes me smile.

Last summer, Chas and I drove up to Boston for the day to catch an afternoon game at Fenway. There was a guy in the rows in front of us with an old school Sox jersey on with the name "Malone" on the back. I also sat and wax intellectual with a bunch of fans at the 86 reunion game about making up Cleveland Indian jerseys with Vaughan, Hayes and Cerrano.

Chas also bought a Bad News Bears jersey, complete with the Chico's Bail Bonds back. It's Tanner's number, for those who ask.

I used to sit in a section with Dad where there were a couple of loudmouths from Woodside who were always good for a laugh. Tommy, the biggest loudmouth of them all, would start off wearing his Mets jersey -- now keep in mind, this was during 2002, the team wasn't all that "great" -- and there would be a blow out like 6-0 in the 5th inning, and Tommy wouldn't be wearing his jersey anymore and would start clapping at really nothing at all, and be like "Lets go METS!" Imagine that really sarcastically and with a thick Queens accent.

In that same section, there was also a really funny guy name Richie. He'd start these like rodeo calls in the middle of a game -- YEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! And during that same blowout of 6-0 in the 5th inning, he'd say something like, "It's 6-nothing, bottom of the 5th, 2 out, no one on...We got 'em right where we want 'em!"

Needless to say, "we got 'em right where we want 'em" is something that's repeated a lot at games.

*****************************************
In Mets-related news (what, the world doesn't revolve around me??? Tee hee), it seems as though The Pelf has made the team. In a Willie's World-made quote, our fearless leader apparently said something to the effect of, "You're one of my guys."

And in other news, officials are sprinkling rock salt where hell froze over, due to Willie actually trusting a rookie over a "proven veteran."

Now *that* - as Casey Stengel used to say - is AMAZIN.

7 comments:

Toasty Joe said...

By "proven veteran," I assume you are referring to the likes of Ricky Ledee, Gerald Williams, or Michael Tucker.

Coop said...

And Shawn Green and Moises Alou and Julio Franco and just about everyone nearing their AARP years.

Itsmetsforme said...

"I'd punch you, but you'd lose your tooth"
That's gold, coop, gold.

One of my memories of other people at Shea was when I got to join the mob of exasperated fans at shea shouting out one-liners at Moo Vaughn's expense back in the day. I was giddy like the freshman who gets to hang out with the cool seniors. Everyone sounded sooo funny. And so mean.

Coop, I've got another little miserable side project you might be interested in, a new mets nickname site that lacks a certain something--a coop's touch!

Coop said...

But IMFM - no side project of yours is ever "miserable." Email me with detes
Mysummerfamily@gmail.com

Coop said...

Another time I just remembered - back in 2002 there was Mike Piazza jersey day (Sass Dawg's Hamilton now wears it as a Mets jersey). Our buddies Tommy and Frank and Richie and all those guys in Mezzanine 22 started saying stuff like - hey it's Mike Piazza dish rag day! I'm gonna go home and wash my car with it.

Sassdawg. said...

Hambone went to dog day at Shea last year, he had fun. I think that was the game where Nick Johnson broke himself. Speaking of which, Dog Day is a great time.

benny said...

WHat the hell is a thick Queens accent? haha.

Hey I'm not going to shit on Michael Tucker, the man had one skill with the Mets last year and that was to take a walk. I was closet Michael Tucker fan last season. The fucker always found a way to take a walk.
He was on base during the NLCS and could have scored if somebody had one peepy little hit... :-(